Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Follis??  (Read 496 times)

Offline Schatz

• Consul
Byzantine Follis??
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:37 am »

Hi,

I wonder if you can confirm an idea I have about a coin I found some years ago in Iran, to be more specific, in the ruins of the Anahita temple near Hamadan, the old Ekbatana. Now I know that the coin is not Iranian, at least I think I know. And I doubt it has been planted there, for not many tourists make it to this site. It appears to be a bronze coin with frontal portraits on both sides. Unfortunately it has corroded to such an extent that it is very difficult to make out anything beyond this point. I have tried to clean it gently but for fear of destroying it completely I did not continue. It weighs 8,04 gr, its dimensions are 24.85 x 25.95, the die axis is 180 degrees. These are the best pics I could manage with the equipment I have. Perhaps someone can help. Thanks in advance

Schatz

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Byzantine Follis??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:07:45 pm »
I might venture  a reasonable guess that it is a sear 1867 class G anonymous follis.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3569&pos=32

Here is a picture of one.

Cordially

Cw

Offline Schatz

• Consul
Re: Byzantine Follis??
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »

Hello Cw,

I would say the outlines and the size of my coin correspond very much with the follis you named as a likely match. Thank you for giving a name to my souvenir. I will try and read up on it.

Schatz

All coins are guaranteed for eternity