Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carthage Traveling Mint.  (Read 906 times)

Offline Ancientnoob

• Praetorian
  • Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite
Carthage Traveling Mint.
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:14:22 pm »
I know there is many common "rare coins" and many rare "common coins". Can someone share some light and or resources on Punic Coins I have recently acquired this one and I was wondering if someone knows anything about the "scarcity" of this coin. It was supposedly minted by Hannibal's traveling military mint while in Carthago Nova, Iberia during the invasion of Italy. I would love to find more information on this mint and others minted there, if anyone knows of good sources. I see references on wildwinds citing Burgos, but I cant seem to find a title of the book or paper so I may read the source in its entirety.

Hannibal, Carthago Nova
c. BC 220-215
Obv. Tanit
Rev. Carthaginian Helm
AE 1.59g
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Carthage Traveling Mint.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:35:44 pm »
This type may be found sometimes in comparatively unsearched Spanish finds material - if you know it. However i regard it´s rarity as scarce as it survives sometimes in fresh material just as one of these unremarkable small pieces of encrusted dirt.
Assigned by the experts to Carthagonova in Hispania (Colonia Urbs Iulia Nova Cathago, todays Cartagena in Spain).

So far i assembled 3 of this type (Alvarez Burgos (1992), 86, 403-4 ; Villaronga (NAH, Numismática Antigua de Hispania) p. 69, nº 43 (pl. II, XXI / XXII) ; Lindgren I, 2)
 - and 2 of the related, but more local style Hispano-Carthaginian issue (Alvarez Burgos (1992), 86, 405 ; Villaronga (NAH) 116 ; SNH p. 69, 46 )

Pictures of these and some details on my Hispania album page 5:

http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=32&page=5

regards

Offline Ancientnoob

• Praetorian
  • Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite
Re: Carthage Traveling Mint.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:57:54 pm »
Wow thanks, Just what I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time and by the way your collection is Impressive to say the least.
-Ancientnoob
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity