Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celator subscription issues???  (Read 19715 times)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: Celator subscription issues???
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 10:48:43 pm »
I haven't received an issue since April and have given up. I have plenty of other material to keep me busy reading in addition to all of the threads I like to read on here.

Waving the white flag on the west coast USA,

-Kurt

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:28 pm »
Hey, Kerry was going through some personal issues & had to move offices. He has combined the upcoming issues.

I just got my may/june issue last week so you should get yours. If not, email him. I am west coast also.

The next issue will be july/august & he has extended our subscriptions another 2 months cause of this issue.

MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Paul DiMarzio

• Praetorian
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 06:33:05 pm »
I've just been performing the "winter cleaning" of my bookcases and realized, to my dismay, that I'm way back on Celator issues.  The last that I have is May/June.  Did the July/August - and subsequent issues - go out as planned?  Argh I may need to purchase back copies!  Thanks.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »
I've just been performing the "winter cleaning" of my bookcases and realized, to my dismay, that I'm way back on Celator issues.  The last that I have is May/June.  Did the July/August - and subsequent issues - go out as planned?  Argh I may need to purchase back copies!  Thanks.

No the july/august never came nor following months. Not a clue what is going on.

My last email to Kerry was "soon" and soon has been 3 months now. >:( >:(
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Paul DiMarzio

• Praetorian
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »
ok thanks so much for that quick reply, Mat.  On the one hand I'm glad I didn't misplace them, but on the other hand ... :-(

I have tried to communicate with Kerry on some articles I proposed but do know he was having issues and just let it be.  Hope production resumes, I love this magazine and have a complete set going back to the newspaper format days.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 08:28:55 pm »
I was at Kerry's house earlier this week and the next issue will hopefully be available at the NYINC. Next years issues should be back on schedule.

Barry Murphy

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 09:00:44 pm »
I just got a email back with pretty much the same response.

"After the first of the new year.

Kerry"

That was it.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
I was at Kerry's house earlier this week and the next issue will hopefully be available at the NYINC. Next years issues should be back on schedule.

Barry Murphy

Has anyone received their issue for the new year? Was wondering.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:53 pm »
Sounds like a disaster...doesn't make me want to subscribe. 

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:58 am »
Nothing as yet. In this case the old saying is going the other way: No news is BAD news.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 07:14:30 am »
He had a sign posted at the NYINC that said publication would resume January 2013.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 11:12:16 am »
He had a sign posted at the NYINC that said publication would resume January 2013.

Thats why I asked since the month is almost over :(
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Francois P

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »
Dear Friends,

I'm a long time subscriber to the Celator (10 years).... I renew my subscription last July 2012... for 2 years.....  Well... I did not received any magazine and despite numerous e-mails no answer whatsoever.....

Does anyone knows what happened to this magazine?  And the editor?

I'm annoyed as I lost some money over this....

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 07:38:32 pm »
Dear Friends,

I'm a long time subscriber to the Celator (10 years).... I renew my subscription last July 2012... for 2 years.....  Well... I did not received any magazine and despite numerous e-mails no answer whatsoever.....

Does anyone knows what happened to this magazine?  And the editor?

I'm annoyed as I lost some money over this....

Thats about the time the issues with the editor occurred. I was told by another collector the next issue should be out very soon. Im hoping it's true as this thread said the same thing. It was gonna be a double issue.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline imperialcoins

• Consul
  • Agora Auctions
    • Agora Auctions, Inc.
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:18 am »
Kerry (editor of The Celator) had a family emergency and publication was put on hold for several months.  I spoke with him at the NY International show and the next issue should be out soon.

Best,

Alfred
-Alfred
Agora Auctions, Inc.
http://agoraauctions.com

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 12:33:15 pm »
Give the guy (Kerry) some slack.  He's having some personal troubles and the fallout has affected his business.  Hopefully, now that is all in the past tense.  But don't get mad on it, I am sure that he plans to honor his subscriptions in full.  And yes, you are probably _not_ missing back issues, because there were months where none were produced. 

But in any case, don't take it personally that you haven't got an issue recently.  See what happens, and when Kerry makes good on the current subscriptions, then make up your mind whether or not to renew.  The Celator is an institution for collectors, and it would be sad to see it go.  Give it every chance you can, it's a good thing and despite a few bumps in the road, we want to see it continue.

John Francisco

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 12:41:11 pm »
I have a 2 year subscription also and have not had any issues in months either.I understand he has family issues but he is running a business and you either drop a note in the mail
to each tell all things are on hold and will get back and running or stop taking subscriptions.

If I sold something on Ebay and took 6 months to ship it because of family issues I am sure I would get negatives galore.

I have heard this over and over and over,you are either in business or you are not.

This is not how you conduct business if you want to keep customers.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

zvezdah1

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »
Didn't Wayne Sayles used to own Celator? I seem to recall years ago when I subscribed I went thru him?

Chris

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:45 pm »
Didn't Wayne Sayles used to own Celator? I seem to recall years ago when I subscribed I went thru him?

Chris

Yes, Wayne used to publish The Celator years ago, and then Kerry took over. Hoping we do see an issue soon.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 09:29:35 pm »
I have a 2 year subscription also and have not had any issues in months either.I understand he has family issues but he is running a business and you either drop a note in the mail
to each tell all things are on hold and will get back and running or stop taking subscriptions.

If I sold something on Ebay and took 6 months to ship it because of family issues I am sure I would get negatives galore.

I have heard this over and over and over,you are either in business or you are not.

This is not how you conduct business if you want to keep customers.

A note would be a nice gesture.  Something that gives subscribers some indication of when things will get going again.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 09:52:57 pm »
What about the sponsors?  I know if I paid for advertising a sale or auction and the issue never got sent out I wouldn't be too happy.  Maybe it's time the Celator goes digital...

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 11:14:49 pm »
Some of the issues I did get where so out of date the the full page adds for auction had long passed which was a pain as I like to know when auctions come up and if I was
a sponsor I would not be too happy with that.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 02:02:32 am »
My question is that if the Celator comes back and Kerry honors the subscriptions, should people hold a grudge?  I just suggest that we should first see _if_ he can honor the subscriptions, and if he does, then decide whether to continue a subscription after the current subscriptions are completed.

I kind of doubt that the subscription price we pay for the Celator, pays for the magazine.  It's the advertising that pays the bill, and in that advertising I include such stuff as reports of auctions with record sales.  I can't afford an Athenian Dekadrachm, but it is fascinating to hear stories about one coming up for auction, (or an Eid Mar coin of Brutus).  But, anyways, I got a little sidetracked in my fascination for shiny objects ;), my point is, whether the Celator continues on depends on the sponsors, which means the dealers, and I am sure the big name dealers all know what is going on.  Kerry used to work for CNG and you don't get any bigger than that.

Let me put it this way, if dealers both big and small who understand the coin market, decide that they'll let bygones be bygones and choose to continue to support the Celator, again that is a big _If_, will you give the Celator another chance, at least until your current subscription runs out?

John

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 07:05:02 am »
Maybe it's time the Celator goes digital...

That's exactly what I proposed Kerry in my last e-mail to him. Would also solve recurrent issues with not receiving a (or several) issues through the post to the UK.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 07:16:04 am »
Maybe it's time the Celator goes digital...

That's exactly what I proposed Kerry in my last e-mail to him. Would also solve recurrent issues with not receiving a (or several) issues through the post to the UK.

Personally, I would not purchase a digital subscription. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity