Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celator subscription issues???  (Read 19716 times)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Celator subscription issues???
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:57 am »
Hello friends,

I am certainly NOT bad mouthing Celator magazine as I know they have been in business for many years and have a good reputation, but I paid for a year subscription back in September and received the September and October issues, but then I didn't receive the November or the December issues.

I finally called them about two weeks ago, and the gentleman I talked to casually blamed it on the postal system for the west coast of the United States. He said he would rectify the situation and send out the issues that I hadn't received along with the latest January issue. I haven't received anything yet.

Between my business and my Ebay store, I shipped and received over 500 items in 2011. Many of these items from all over the U.S, Australia, China, and Europe, and not one item was lost, stolen, or even delayed.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had any problems with their Celator subscription, or is this just an isolated incident. I am a pretty easy going guy, but wasn't all that pleased with the "blame the post office" excuse, especially since it seems unlikely that the post office would lose my magazine 3 months in a row.

Regards,

-Kurt

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
Re: Celator subscription issues???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:50:59 am »
I am a Celator subscriber since a few years ago, and from time to time I miss some issues. This has happenend to me living in the Netherlands, then Scotland, then Netherlands and now Scotland again (yes, moved a lot back and forth).
I must say every time I have complained on this it has been checked by the Celator and issues missed have been promptly resent, and all have arrived the second time around.
So I am not putting the blame on the Celator but different post systems. It's nearly a year now that I haven't had any issues.
I proposed Kerry not to put the logo on the envelope, since I suspect some "savvy" postman/woman might want to keep issues, but in this case nothing has been done to date.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:15 am »
.... living in the Netherlands, then Scotland, then Netherlands and now Scotland again (yes, moved a lot back and forth)...

dafnis is it possible we work in the same place/company/business sector. I've done that cycle too along with Nigeria, Houston, Arabia etc.etc.?

I've found this issue to apply not specifically to the Celator but to all postal magazine subs, specially ones in either weak paper envelopes or those flimsy plastic wrappers with a scrap of inserted paper for the address. Any long-distance subs that have to be handled many times in transit seem to be vulnerable. It's not the Celator as such.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:42:59 am »
 ??? ??? ???

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:28:37 am »
Ahhhh

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:47:34 am »
Ahhhh

They are very nice coins. Aes Grave are the only collecting area where I genuinely bought good value coins as most of mine were accumulated in the 1990s. Unfortunately my large AG collection will be difficult to sell in the US now due to MOUs etc even though many were from old public auctions - the burden of proving old provenance just becomes too hassly. My RR silver contains many great rarities but of moderate condition, my gold are generally sub-standard condition, and my struck bronzes, well they include many great and rare coins but the market for such is ... hmmm .... uncertain at best. So I'll have to rely on my many nice aes grave for a retirement fund; even in european auctions prices for such are strong.

I don't own the wall mosaic. It's in a Herculaneum house.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:55:17 am »
FWIW, I received my copy of the December issue just a couple of days ago (mid January), and I have not received my January copy yet either.  I assume it's the PO.  I live in GA so mail from PA to me should only take a couple of days.  I saw Kerry at the NYINC and he was surprised then (first weekend of Jan) that I didn't have my December issue yet so he gave me one off his table.  As I said, my December issue finally arrived a week or so ago.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:57 pm »
I got my DEC issue a couple of weeks ago, but still no JAN Issue.  I assume I'll get it and I agree it's probably the PO because I have had some other problems in timeliness in the last couple of months.  (Thankfully not bills.... coming or going).

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:15:31 pm »
Thank you for the responses.

As I said, in 2011 , I shipped and received over 500 items and didn't have a single problem with a single item. The two issues that I did receive came in a standard thick large white envelop just like many of my other subscriptions, so I don't see how that should matter.

Guess I will wait for another couple of weeks and see if I receive the 3 missing issues.

-Kurt

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
I just subscribed to it a few weeks ago & got the Dec. issue. I have yet to get January but I am hoping it will be this week. Sample issue before it came about the last week of the month or so.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:51 pm »
Wow!!

Another month gone by and still haven't received November, December, or January issues of The Celator.

I called a month ago and was assured that is was the post office's fault and that the issues were on the way. I just called today and after blaming the post office again, it turns out a full 6 weeks after the initial subscription date that supposedly my debit card was declined???  Huh?? What?? 6 weeks?? So much for modern technology.

Turns out is WASN'T the post office's mistake, as I suspected, but yet a communication error on Celator's part.

As we say in the ghetto, "itsall good baby", or is it?

Venting in Reno,

-Kurt

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:43:46 pm »
Boy Kurt, that sounds frustrating. I do know that Kerry who runs the Celator is often quite a busy guy, but in my experience he ordinarily gets on top of these types of issues fairly quickly. I am out west in Northern California not too far from you, and I do tend to get my issues after everyone else, but usually only a day or two after. I am glad that you are not giving up, the Celator is a great magazine!

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »
Hi Ancientdave,

I definitely was frustrated and probably shouldn't be venting on Forvm.

I talked to Kerry twice on the phone and he was very cordial and genuinely concerned. No hard feelings at all towards him or The Celator. I am just happy that we figured out what the problem was and rectified it so I can start receiving all of the backdated issues along with the current ones too.

Patience was never one of my strengths, and every time I expect perfection from someone else, all I need to do is look in the mirror and check my attitude.

Cheers,

-Kurt

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:07:36 pm »
I still havent gotten my Jan Issue, his reply was below:

My policy is that if you receive the next issue, in this case, February, then we can assume the post office lost the previous issue. I have to pay first class postage to replace missing issues, and since Murphy’s Law has always dictated that the day I send out a replacement issue is the day your original issue arrives, I have to ask for your patience. Once you have been a subscriber for a while, you will hopefully receive the magazine at about the same time each month.

Kerry

:( Like Biancas Dad, I am not patient when I want something bad, lol.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 06:07:26 am »
I just got my JAN 12 issue yesterday afternoon.  Mat, you should see yours soon(?).

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:18 am »
... So I'll have to rely on my many nice aes grave for a retirement fund; even in european auctions prices for such are strong.

I very much doubt it. The yellow Pecten's defined benefit pension fund is amongst the most generous on the planet (outside of politics/Government), even if a little underfunded against future liabilities at this stage. I suspect you'll be buying AG's in retirement, particularly if you have a couple of decades or more service under the belt!  8)

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 10:26:02 am »
I just got my JAN 12 issue yesterday afternoon.  Mat, you should see yours soon(?).

Nope, still havent got it yet :(
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline pitbull

• Praetorian
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 11:30:59 am »
I'm down in Louisiana and just received my Jan,2012 issue 2 days ago.
I've subscribed  for about 1 1/2 years and this is the first issue that has come late.

I am still waiting for Feb.

Gary

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56:35 am »
Kurt, I can totally understand your frustration, I have had some significant issues with my own mail service lately. The Celator has always been a bit spotty on the delivery times, but if you can get past that fact it's a really great magazine. I am glad to hear that all is resolved. At least now you will have a nice little stack of reading to do!  ;D

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 08:11:42 pm »
The Celator has always been a bit spotty on the delivery times...
+1

I just received my January issue yesterday here in southern New England. I usually receive mine at the end of the month, but sometimes a month late.  Makes all the auction information useless. There is generally something of interest in it. I kind of like supporting a little publication like the Celator

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »
Still havent got my Jan issue :(
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 01:23:36 pm »
Well my Jan issue finally arrived. Guess its about a month late :/

At least it came.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 04:32:10 pm »
I just received my November, December, and January issues after the original little mix up.

I am not really concerned with the auctions that have passed. I am just happy to have some interesting articles to read.

-Kurt

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:19 pm »
I just found this thread and I have been having the exact same problem with getting current issues and I am being told its because of postal service which makes no sense to me to FL,I just finally got June and July or July and August issue and the info on auctions is already out of date its very frustrating.

Is anyone else having this issue.

Adrian
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

All coins are guaranteed for eternity