Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius Sestertius Attribution Confirmation  (Read 836 times)

Offline Legatus

• Consul
Marcus Aurelius Sestertius Attribution Confirmation
« on: January 14, 2012, 06:17:13 pm »
I have spent quite some time trying to attribute this coin. I have tentatively attributed it as RIC 1154. It's a huge coin at 22.3g and 30mm. I can make out only part of the legends on both sides. I can make out the VSAVG GERM SAR on the obverse and TRP X IMP VIII on the reverse. So I believe it is:

OBV: M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARMATICVS, laureate head right
REV: TR P XXIX IMP VIII COS III S-C, Annona standing left, holding corn-ears & cornucopiae; modius with two corn-ears and poppy at her feet

It's better looking in hand than the image posted. The card inside the flip that came with the coin indicates it was "a river find from Norfolk, England" and was sold by Elkins Coins, Long Stratton, Norwich, England in 2007.

Doug Smith sent the following information: 

"Another is BMCRE Volume IV page 647 * noted as Cohen 931 but the coin is not in their collection so it gets a star and no number. Cohen lists it as common and in the French national collection but it can't be too common or the British Museum would have had one. It is listed as M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARMATICVS / TRP XXX IMP VIII COS III SC which seems consistent with what remains on your coin. The reverse is "Pietas standing left dropping inscense on lighted altar and holding a box of perfumes." You could have the lighted altar but you have a cornucopia rather than a box and the item in hand looks like corn ears rather than incense. Backing up to the year before we see the TRP number on the obverse in place of Sarmaticus so the IMP number is on the left rather than the right but there is a type (BMCRE 1505) "Annona, draped, standing front head left, holding in right hand corn ears over modius with poppy and corn ears left and cornucopia in left hand." This seems exactly hat we see on your coin so I suspect that the die was made right at the change over between TRP XXIX and XXX. I do not know how this aligns with RIC since I don't have that volume.

I am no expert in Antonine period bronzes. If it were my coin I'd probably post it on Forvm in the hope Curtis Clay (who is the expert on these) would see it and reply or write to him directly at Harlen Berk in Chicago. It is quite possible that the type is known from other specimens since BMC was written but if it is a new type I suspect he would be happy to have the report. The coin is not high grade but enough of the legends are readable that I'd consider the possibility that it is either rare or unlisted and should be reported. Who knows - you might make the next edition of RIC. On the other hand we might be missing something obvious (remember this is not my 'thing') and all we will do is make fools of ourselves. I do that with some regularity."

I have written to Curtis Clay but wanted to post it here hoping someone can help with this coin's attribution?

Regards to all
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=30485

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

Offline Giuseppe R

• Consul
Re: Marcus Aurelius Sestertius Attribution Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:52:47 am »
Yes!
MARCUS AURELIUS (161 - 180)

Augustus (161 - 180)

d=31 mm
Sesterz, 175. M ANTONINVS AVG - GERM SARMATI CVS. Büste mit Lorbeerkranz und drapierter linker Schulter rechts. Rs: TR P XXIX - IMP VIII COS III / S - C. Annona mit ähren und Füllhorn en face stehend, zu ihren Füßen Modius. RIC 1154 var. C. 921 var. BMC - (vgl. Anm. 1513). MIR 313-6/32. 24,82g.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11761319/Annona%20Marco%20A.jpg

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »
So I believe it is:

REV: TR P XXIX IMP VIII COS III S-C, Annona standing left, holding corn-ears & cornucopiae; modius with two corn-ears and poppy at her feet

I believe Doug Smith may have overlooked a coin of exactly this description, namely BMC 1513 and Cohen 921 = RIC 1154.

The coin shown by Teodato is a bust variety of the same coin, with fold of cloak on front shoulder and behind neck, mentioned in BMC 1513 note on the basis of Cohen 921 ("His head or bust laureate r.").
Curtis Clay

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:38:05 pm »
So I believe it is:

I believe Doug Smith may have overlooked a coin of exactly this description, namely BMC 1513 and Cohen 921 = RIC 1154.

The coin shown by Teodato is a bust variety of the same coin, with fold of cloak on front shoulder and behind neck, mentioned in BMC 1513 note on the basis of Cohen 921 ("His head or bust laureate r.").

Thank you Curtis.  Then I was correct in my attribution as RIC 1154.  Although it would have been nice to have something of a rare coin, it is also satisfying to know I was able to attribute the coin properly.  I appreciate all the replies.

Regards
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=30485

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity