Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Greek Coin  (Read 685 times)

Offline drwonga

• Legionary
Unknown Greek Coin
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »
Hello Folks!

I'm just getting started in collecting ancient coins, and I'm having difficulty trying to identify this coin. I have dug through the Handbook of Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, published by Whitman, but to no avail. Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Larry

Offline drwonga

• Legionary
Re: Unknown Greek Coin
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:30 am »
Hello Folks,

I took some additional photos and some measurements of the coin. It is roughly 11mm across, and 4mm deep. There is a portrait on the obverse size facing the right, and on the reverse, it looks like there are greek characters, but they have been cut off. There is also a symbol, but I can't quite make it out.

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:42:04 am »
Hi Larry,

Probably:  Thrace, Pantikapaion. ca. 2nd-1st centuries B.C.  Head (of Apollo?) right / Bow in bow case.  You can see part of the "PAN" legend.

Laney

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:43:34 am »
Dear Drwonga and Board,

It looks like a product of Panticapaeum of the Cimmerian Bosporus:

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Although I believe it to be the same type, you probably can find another example that more closely matches the style of your piece.  

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline drwonga

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:54:54 am »
Thanks so much guys! This certainly narrows it down quite a bit!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity