Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How many soldiers on this 1 standard - gloria exercitus ?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
How many soldiers on this 1 standard - gloria exercitus ?
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:05:10 pm »
Hello. The reverse die of this small IVth C. coin is puzzling me. When looking at the soldiers' faces, it looks like there are four of them instead of the usual two. Has anybody seen such a fantasy on this kind of coin ?

Thanks.

rick2

Re: How many soldiers on this 1 standard - gloria exercitus ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:27:00 pm »
it could be a double strike

or alternatively it could be an imitaive coin struck after the fall of magnentius
they tend to turn up.

your coin has a very crude design , so i would not be surprised if this was an imitative.

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »
Thank you.
I too suspected a double strike but at second glance it does not seem so. Only the faces of the soldiers appear to be double-stricken, nothing else, and it is symetric... The coin may be an imitation, why not? it was found in the near East.

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:18:31 am »
The soldiers simply have rather large heads. It is a two soldiers and 1 standard type. Nor does the coin look like an imitation - and these coins were not imitated in the near east but rather in Britain and norther Gaul.

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:35 am »
They were also imitated contemporaneously with the official types (i.e. 330-341) or slightly after (341-348) not as far after as Magnentius fall (353).

I think what you see instead of a double strike is odd engraving.  It looks like this engraver liked to use a small round punch or drift and has used it for the eyes but also in a row of three nearly vertical dots for nose, mouth and chin.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity