Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nikon 1  (Read 905 times)

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
Nikon 1
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:23:26 pm »
Has anyone tried to shoot coins with a Nikon 1?
I'm curious to know if anyone has this camera and if they like it for coin photography. Also if anyone has any coin pics they have taken with it I would love to see how they turned out.
Robin

Offline drwonga

• Legionary
Re: Nikon 1
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:56:39 am »
I got myself a Nikon V1 and oddly, I was just thinking today, that it would be fantastic if Nikon released a macro lens for it! I've taken a ton of photos and videos with it, and I was about to actually shoot some images of my coins that I needed some opinions on. Once I get some, I'll post them here for you to see. It's pretty amazing what this little camera is capable of.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:02:15 am »
The thought strikes me that you can buy several digital SLRs for less than a Nikon 1 and any would be more suitable for coins since they accept a range of macro products (lenses, tubes) that may or may not be coming out for the new mount.  The appeal of the new camera is its compact size but this is not an important feature for coins.  If I already owned a 1, I might start by looking into accessory plus diopter close up lenses that may be available to fit the front of the longest focal length lens I had.  Things that already exist tend to be more economical than dedicated new products that will be in limited demand.

Another point to consider is that accessories for expensive cameras can be more costly than a used camera of the same quality that is not the current model.  While I own two newer Canon DSLR bodies, I still use my oldest and cheapest (a D300 Digital Rebel) for coins because it is good enough for what I want to do and can be left permanently on my copy stand.  Before you buy accessories for a 1, you might check into a 'coin' camera like an older Nikon that could do as well for less money

Offline drwonga

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:39:37 pm »
Hi Folks,

I posted some images for coins I needed help with. The images are small, but at least you can see a couple sample images:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=77414.0
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=77415.0

Regarding Doug's comments before, I happen to agree. A dedicated DSLR with a macro lens will be your best option for shooting coins, at a lower cost. For myself, I enjoy shooting wildlife, so that means big SLR, big heavy lens, and I sometimes get tired of carrying around 12lbs of camera gear while people stare at me. For a travel camera, or an everyday camera, the Nikon V1 is perfect. Having RAW capabilities out of a small body is fantastic, and having the ability to switch lenses based on what I want to shoot, is wonderful. My entire travel photo system now fits in two pockets, and I still have the creative ability to shoot how I like. Of course, if I am shooting birds or going for something requiring more finesse, I'll still take the DSLR, but it's great to have the option of still shooting, without being tied to a heavy camera.

I would try to figure out what you want to shoot and break it down by how often you will be using your camera in that configuration. I think it will help you figure out exactly what you are looking for!

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »
Thank you both- I am considering now that I should take it back. It was a gift and seemed like it might be a better than my current camera. Since it would be mainly for coins- I will look for a different option.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity