Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval Coins of Bearn- meaning of legend  (Read 894 times)

Offline alexius

• Consul
Medieval Coins of Bearn- meaning of legend
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:25:17 am »
Does anyone know if there has been any updates or further work done on the meaning of the reverse legend ONOR FORCAS on the coins of the Counts of Bearn?

Thanks

Steve

Offline WelfIV

• Consul
Re: Medieval Coins of Bearn- meaning of legend
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »
Hi Steve,

I don't know much about French coins, but the FORVM shop says:
Onor Forcas means Lord of Forcas, referring to the castle of Hourquie (of which no trace remains).

Peter

Offline alexius

• Consul
Re: Medieval Coins of Bearn- meaning of legend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:08:35 pm »
Thanks Peter. I don't know much about French coins either. I saw this reference and a couple of others to the word FORCAS referring to castles or to gallows. This struck me as unlikely, firstly because of the incongruity with the reference to PAX on one side of the coin and secondly because this legend continues to be used into the 1400s which seemed a long time both for an immobilised type and for a castle now disappeared.  My hunch (only supported by google searches- hence my question) is that FORCAS refers to the Fors of Bearn  a collection of legal rulings compiled over 11-13th centuries which apparently the lords of Bearn swore to uphold.  Just an idea though.

Regards

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity