Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kingdom of Macedon, Philip II AV stater  (Read 728 times)

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
Kingdom of Macedon, Philip II AV stater
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »
I bought this Philip II stater at a local coin auction for pennies on the dollar. Sure would like some opinions and evaluations.

This coin concludes my small ancient coin collection. EZ
"Barbarians.....do not destroy this earth!"

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
Re: Kingdom of Macedon, Philip II AV stater
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:17:19 pm »
Weight: 3.8gm, 17mm

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »
Cast fake. Casting diagnostics clearly in evidence and authentic examples were struck at 8.60 gm weight standard with very exacting attention to weight.

Here are a couple of authentic examples, which it seeks to imitate (actually Philip III rather than II as the tread is titled):
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=413408
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=379041

and a die match cast from the Forum Fakes Database
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-10201

P.S. Did you get your Roman Philip I antoninianus, the subject of the thread https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=77001.0  from the same source ? I am pretty sure it is a fake also, notwithstanding the failure of the Roman experts to make any comment on the authenticity issue I flagged. You've been pretty unlucky with your collecting thus far.

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »
Well Lloyd, I weighed this coin again and make a correction. It weighs 6.0 gm at 17mm which is still below the standard of 8.5 - 8.6 gm. That's OK by me if it's a fake because I paid very little for it. I bought this coin as well as the other 3 Byzantine gold coins (which are listed) at the same auction less than 2 weeks ago. I've not been told they are fakes but I'm waiting for you to tell me that they are however, lol. The Philip I you mention was purchased by me 5 years ago on eBay as stated in the comments of my listing.

Still, more than 3/4 of all the coins I listed are authentic so I wouldn't say I've 'been pretty unlucky so far' if I were you. I'm content for having made purchases with absolutely no knowledge of ancient coins. EZ

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:52:52 pm »
I don't know if I would say buying Romans is easy it takes some reseach on them before you buy on Ebay. And like I said in this forum before I only deal with 3 sellers out of all of them. Because I trust them. And for luck your batting average is not looking to good on your gold coins most likely modern cast fakes.
David V McCallum II

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:09:45 pm »
Perhaps so but like the Owner/President says: "If you don't know enough to give advice, why not just listen instead?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity