Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Galla Placidia tremissis  (Read 490 times)

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Fake Galla Placidia tremissis
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:46:17 am »
On the other hand, this is an obvious free-hand fake that doesn't look anything like the real thing (photo 2). It's from the same auction as the solidus in my other post. A fake report has been filed.
Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline perporius

• Caesar
Re: Fake Galla Placidia tremissis
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:46:29 am »
In the same auction there are many (many!) other bronze coins free hand fake..

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 01:10:55 pm »
I think I just received one of these I will need to send back to the consignor.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:40:20 pm »
The auction house selling these coins is a notorious fake seller since several years, in particular fake fifth century coins. Some of their bronze coins are pure fantasy coins and most of the others are obvious fakes. I have had a a few in hand and suspect that they are hand-tooled from contemporary low quality coins. Now the company obviously decided to expand to include fake gold coins from the same period.
Jan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity