Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bohemond III Type?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
Bohemond III Type?
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »
I am looking through Coins of the Crusader States 1098-1291 trying to wittle down the possible types this coin could be. There are a few oddities with this coin and I am having a bit of difficulting matching the exact type and was wondering if someone more versed in the subtle differences could set me straight.

This is a head left (type 11) likely Cat # 65 or 66

I was wondering if the small dot below the star on the obverse is just a bump in the metal or is it an actual dot and please observe the A on the reverse and what appears to be an extra pellet.

As it is right now, I am having a real difficult time placing this exactly. Its difficult because of the condition to narrow it down and I was hoping someone might be of assistance as I would like to get a solid ID on the coin type.

Thanks

Offline alexius

• Consul
Re: Bohemond III Type?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
I am not sure this will be much help but looking through the drawings in Coins of the Crusader States it looks as though 66c and 67c both have a substantial dot in the angle of the star. On this coin it looks to me like a flan irregularity (a bit like the bump under the nose). No idea about the extra pellet in the reverse though-perhaps someone with a copy of Metcalf might help.

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »
Yes, I was thinking the same, that the dot was just a small bump in the metal as other examples seem to have larger dots. The extra node on the A is interesting though as I havent found that before. OTherwise it seems like a standard 65 from Coins of the Crusader States. Any clarrification would be great and thanks alexius.

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:20:18 am »
Obverse: Helmeted bust left in chainmail with crescent pointing up in left field and 5 pointed star in right field, 'BOAMVNDUS'
Reverse: Cross with crescent top right field pointing left, 'AMTIOCNIA'  (5 pellets on 'A' )

As far as I can tell this is what it says but I have a hard time making out the difference between M, N, and H on these coins. What I think are N's on this coin have two lines going through the middle.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity