Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A White Numismatic Christmas?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
A White Numismatic Christmas?
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:14:00 am »
Dear Board,

The white stuff did make it to my neck of the woods after all!  It fell just last night.  Enclosed are a few pictures I took a few minutes ago of the woods and private chapel in our little bay at Pickerel Lake.  Reminds me of some of the neat winter photos other members took last year.

Now to work on the numismatic part...     

Merry Christmas!

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: A White Numismatic Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:17:26 am »
Beautiful.  Merry Christmas.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:22:29 am »
Dear Board,

Wow, they uploaded!  Here are a few more.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

EDIT:  Thanks Joe!

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:27:06 am »
Dear Board,

And one last batch...

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 11:41:05 am »
Excellent!

Thanks for those!

mz

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:19:25 pm »
Dear Board,

And for the numismatic part.  I could have taken some photos of so many better coins for this occasion, but this one arrived in the mail fairly recently and is anyhow not your typical Antioch provincial of Philip I.

Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch.  Philip I (AD 244–249).  Æ 22–23mm (7.9g.).  
Obverse: [ΑVΤ]ΟΚ Κ ΜΑ ΙΟVΛΙ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CЄΒ, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse:  ANTIO[XЄ]ΩN MHT[PO KOΛΩN], Apollo, in long drapery, standing left, holding patera in right hand and lyre in left, before whom is a coiled serpent; Δ-E and S C across fields.  
References: BMC Galatia, etc. p. 215, 534.
Reportedly found in Suffolk, England.

Will add it to my gallery in due course.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 04:45:15 pm »
Dear Board,

In answer to the title of this thread, it has been a white numismatic Christmas here after all.  Below is what arrived in yesterday's mail.  It is not ancient, but it is a coin type with a lot of connections with the distant past and the area from where the Christmas story began.  

British Mandate of Palestine (ca. 1922-1948).  1941 Copper-nickel 5 Mils (20mm, 2.91g.).  400,000 minted.    
Obverse:  A hole encircled by a stylized olive wreath and in turn by the inscriptions naming the country.  English/Arabic dates appear below the hole, at six o’clock.
Reverse:  Large, trilingual legends expressing the coin’s value around the hole.
References:  KM# 3.  

Overall, a more apropos coin to show here than the one I posted yesterday.  I was reminded today of how much easier it is to photograph modern coins than dark ancient bronzes!    

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan    

All coins are guaranteed for eternity