Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Would you clean this coin?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Would you clean this coin?
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:22:26 pm »
Hello friends,

As much as I enjoy the desert patinas, this coin looks a little more sandy or just plain dirty to me.

I like the contrast, but the patina on this example seems to be more like sand/dirt loosely adhering to the coin. The coin in hand doesnt have that uniform kind of hard core desert patina that most of my other examples have.

I am  wondering what others think of the coin in this state. It seems like a few DW soaks and light brushing would take most of the sand/dirt off pretty easily and I am wondering if the coin would end up looking better.

Comments appreciated as always. Thanks.

-Kurt

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Would you clean this coin?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:36:53 am »
Kurt,

Very nice coin!  I love the SARMATIA DEVICTA type.

I would do nothing to this coin.  Well, almost nothing.  I think I would try gently to remove the bit on Constantine's cheek but that is just me. 

Even though it is not even I still think it looks nicer with the remaining dirt.  You are right that it does not look as stable as a full "desert patina" but if any comes off in the future that would be fine too.  If you want to try to preserve the sand on it you can wax it.  I had read long ago that waxing can darken the sand but if you use Renn Wax then it only goes dark temporarily and looks the same as it did before after it dries up.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:50:32 am »
Shaun,

Thanks for the input. For now, I guess I won't do anything drastic as I am definitely type A compulsive obsessive etc etc.

The cheek sand is basically in what looks like an area where a small chunk of metal is actually missing from the coin. My photography angle and/or lighting doesnt really show it properly.

Anyways, for now I can just enjoy the coin as it is. It has filled a hole for me and I particularly like the design of the reverse for this type.

Cheers,

-Kurt

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:02:10 am »
I agree, looks great as is.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:22 am »
There ya have then folks.

Shaun and Randy vote leave it as is. CASE CLOSED!!

Cheers,

-Kurt

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »
I had a similar issue with this one, but left it alone. Afraid I'd ruin it.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-61022

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 02:47:17 pm »
Nice coin Randy.

I think yours looks a little more encrusted or bonded to the coin. I can see where you definitely wouldn't want to risk messing up a coin that looks so good already.

When I look at my coin around the bottom of the bust area, above the head, and around the captives, the sand/dirt looks like it would easily come of with an over night DW soak and a soft brushing.

But still, I am going to enjoy it as is and maybe down the road sometime I will give it a "new" look.

-Kurt

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:03:38 pm »
Thanks. The darker spot over the ex. looks a little thinner that the rest of the sand, so I wonder if the seller had attempted to clean it He did a great job on some o the other sandy coins I got, so I think its just the way it was.

I want to get another one with nice dark red sand like allot of the ones you have. Great collection BTW!

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 12:38:43 am »
Thanks Randy.

I am always keeping an eye out for the new additions, especially the ones that are in my own personal collecting genre.

I just had another lot arrive today and will be posting the new coins as I have time and then I am going to cut back on any new purchases for a bit and focus on organizing and cataloging what I already have.

Also, I have many coins in various states of preservation that I have started to clean that I am excited to get back to work on. I think that I have a better chance at some quality results now that I have had a chance to read so many informative threads. (and a chance to destroy so many innocent coins in along the way)

In the past year, I have gotten married, had a beautiful baby girl with my lovely wife, bought a house and a business AND have completely fallen in love with this new collecting adventure. Thats a lot of blessings for one year and I am certainly looking forward to 2012!!

I really hope some day that I have the knowledge and expertise to give back to the Forum community as I have received so much as a new member and a new collector.

Cheers,

Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity