Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A silly Christmas idea  (Read 4293 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: A silly Christmas idea
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »
taurisker : Beautiful tree !
Robert: Maybe the mention of 12 days will get us a set of 12 with "my coin dealer gave to me..."

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 05:37:29 pm »
Taurisker's is just beautiful, in my opinion.
Pat L.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 05:56:36 pm »
taurisker : Beautiful tree !
Robert: Maybe the mention of 12 days will get us a set of 12 with "my coin dealer gave to me..."

Dino's Santa's Sled wins it for me.

Though I do like the felicitousness of my own chocolate Toblerone bar and my Toblerone-shaped one pound cast bar from the early Roman Republic. The coin (bar) indeed weighs exactly 1 pound or 327 grams.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 03:52:00 am »
Wonderful stuff.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to create these little works of art (a skill I have not yet learned) and to share them with us.

The best thing about this thread is that I was able to share it with some family and friends who really don't care about ancient coins (I know, I know, but I have grown too attached to them to get rid of them - the family and friends I mean) who thoroughly enjoyed them!

If I don't get a chance to say it elsewhere Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy New Year, Happy Festivus (bring on "the feats of strength"), Happy Birthday of Constantine I, etc.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

taurisker

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 07:55:18 am »
Thanks to the ladies, for the applause!

I modified the following early roman anonymus quadrigatus ... in the snowless streets of Rome there is no need for a heavy sled, so Santa´s team is reduced to Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen ... Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen are meanwhile on a wellness trip at some hot thermal sources  ;D

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 08:04:35 am »
Andrew's Toblerone really is superbly done. Being in Switzerland with Toblerone in every little shop and supermarket, I really had to smile and shake my head in wonder at Andrew's work of art. In fact if I  just sent Tobler a message inviting them to come and have a look at it!
(Funny thing in their contact form. The field for "Use By date" (in case it was a complaint) I put 1st century BC.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: A silly Christmas idea (Coins Shaped Like Odd Chocolate Bars)
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 01:31:20 pm »
Andrew's Toblerone really is superbly done. Being in Switzerland with Toblerone in every little shop and supermarket, I really had to smile and shake my head in wonder at Andrew's work of art. In fact if I  just sent Tobler a message inviting them to come and have a look at it!
(Funny thing in their contact form. The field for "Use By date" (in case it was a complaint) I put 1st century BC.

Thanks helvetica - nice comments. 6th century BC is the manufacture date but I agree it should have been used by 1st century BC (or earlier)

I've actually waited five years to make this very picture. When I bought the coin, I immediately thought "this coin is shaped EXACTLY like a Toblerone which is very weird". But what use can one make of such a coincidence? There's not exactly a thread in Forum relating to "Coins Shaped Like Odd Chocolate Bars". And if I mentioned it in a cocktail party, "I have an ancient bronze bar that is shaped exactly like a Toblerone" .... well I think it might just kill the conversation. So I was happy of the opportunity to introduce it.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: A silly Christmas idea (Coins Shaped Like Odd Chocolate Bars)
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

Thanks helvetica - nice comments. 6th century BC is the manufacture date but I agree it should have been used by 1st century BC (or earlier)

I've actually waited five years to make this very picture. When I bought the coin, I immediately thought "this coin is shaped EXACTLY like a Toblerone which is very weird". But what use can one make of such a coincidence? There's not exactly a thread in Forum relating to "Coins Shaped Like Odd Chocolate Bars". And if I mentioned it in a cocktail party, "I have an ancient bronze bar that is shaped exactly like a Toblerone" .... well I think it might just kill the conversation. So I was happy of the opportunity to introduce it.

;D I think I'm going to have to do that now!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 02:07:23 pm »
Compilation pic (subject to improvements and additions of course):

and its placement on my webpage - with a link back to Forvm and grateful thanks to the contributors below the pic:

http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/  

(you may need to hit the refresh button if the dull old site is in cache)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »
And if I mentioned it in a cocktail party, "I have an ancient bronze bar that is shaped exactly like a Toblerone" ....

Well it'd be a helluva lot more interesting than someone saying "I need to go into hospital soon for a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt"....

(Political Correctness Clause: With sympathies to anyone here who has ever needed one)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »
And if I mentioned it in a cocktail party, "I have an ancient bronze bar that is shaped exactly like a Toblerone" ....

Well it'd be a helluva lot more interesting than someone saying "I need to go into hospital soon for a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt"....

(Political Correctness Clause: With sympathies to anyone here who has ever needed one)

This seems to be some liver-cirrhosis-related repair (google). An untimely reminder just before the festive season!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity