Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tabaristan? 1/2 drachm  (Read 847 times)

mordor

Tabaristan? 1/2 drachm
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:57:42 am »
I would be very thankful if anybody could help me with better attribution of this 1/2drach.
Also opinions of its authentity are welcome.

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
Re: Tabaristan? 1/2 drachm
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:23:10 pm »
That's the anonymous "Afzut" or "Afzwt" type, Album 73, issued 780-793 AD.  Offhand I don't see any reason to doubt its authenticity,  There's a picture of a similar coin here:

http://numismatics.org/search/results?q=department_facet:%22Islamic%22%20AND%20persname_facet:%22afzwt%22

mordor

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 12:45:52 pm »
Thank you Jim! Is it possible to read out the exact date on the coin?

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »
Yes, the date on your coin is engraved very clearly on the left-hand side of the reverse.  But I do not feel confident about reading those dates, with their combination of Aramaic and Persian forms, and high level of abbreviation.  Maybe someone else on this forum has figured out the trick and can jump in with the answer.  (And perhaps even point us to a good reference on how to read these dates?)   Or you could go to ZENO.RU which shows many examples with different dates, and maybe you can decide which one matches your coin.  Sorry I can't do better on this.  Here's the link...

http://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=5615

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:17 pm »

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 09:32:32 am »
Yours is definitely 13x and could be 135 PYE.  I've attached a picture of the reverse side of a fairly clear Afzut 135 from my collection.  The final digit of the date is at the top of the left-hand side and looks like <c on my coin.  It's somewhat different on yours and different again on the specimen at ZENO.RU:

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=98699

Some numbers look quite similar to others, yet there's a lot of variability in the way each number can be written.  So it's a subject I haven't yet figured out how to handle reliably.

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 09:44:52 am »
In the message I just sent, I described the date in my coin as resembling a 3-symbol sequence:  a "less-than" character followed by a "vertical-bar" character followed by the letter "c".  The vertical-bar character somehow got omitted; at least it doesn't show up in the message displayed on my computer.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity