Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice on cleaning this silver denarius  (Read 1052 times)

Offline lorry66

• Praetorian
Advice on cleaning this silver denarius
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:46:40 am »
Hi,
Under the green crud I can silver. I have had no experiance cleaning silver coins and i would really like to do this one as it appears there is some excellent detail to be seen.
I have read that ammonia is used. what sort of household product has this in it? or where would you buy it.
Picture below of the coin in question.
Kind regards,
Lorry

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Advice on cleaning this silver denarius
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:14:08 pm »
5-10 minute soaks in lemon juice followed by nylon brushing. Repeat. When finished, a quick bath in a baking soda/water solution to stop the acidic process and you should be good. This may take a few session. You should also post this in the cleaning section and progress pics if possible. I would move it but my mod powers do not extend to this forum. :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:21:15 pm »
5-10 minute soaks in lemon juice followed by nylon brushing. Repeat. When finished, a quick bath in a baking soda/water solution to stop the acidic process and you should be good. This may take a few session. You should also post this in the cleaning section and progress pics if possible. I would move it but my mod powers do not extend to this forum. :)

Chris

I would follow this advise. Ammonia does indeed clean tarnished off silver, however, you should want to preserve the patina on this coin if at all possible. Lemon juice will give you much better control of this and will break up the crud on the coin that you want gone.

It also smells way better than ammonia. That and ammonia can easily damage silver if not diluted to a proper ratio for use on cleaning silver. I would avoid ammonia, even if it meant leaving the coin as is. Just my opinion.

BTW, the coin is indeed nice as it is IMO.

Offline lorry66

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:15:31 pm »
Ok, thank you all for the information. I will give the lemon juice and baking soda solution a go and do a series of pictures to show the results.
thanks very much. ;D
Regards,
Lorry

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »
Wow, great looking coin!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity