Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CONCORDIA MILITVM - a new type for Tetricus I at Mint II  (Read 988 times)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
CONCORDIA MILITVM - a new type for Tetricus I at Mint II
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:22:38 am »
This coin is not in nice condition. However, it is rather important  :o
I have photographed it in different lights but it is still difficult to read

[?IMP TETRIC]VS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust right

CONCORD[IA MI]LITVM, Concordia standing left holding patera and cornucopia, behind her a standard.

Weight 3.62g

The piece is clearly not irregular, being of the same, rather fleshy, obverse style as the earliest portraits of Tetricus I from Mint II. These have extended obverse legends reading IMP C P ESV TETRICVS AVG. Some have draped busts. These portraits appear to contain elements of Domitianus' (Tetricus' predecessor at Mint II) physiognomy. I supply images below.

Where does this piece fit in? The obverse legend is not very legible but from what can be read (and from the spacing) would seem to be IMP TETRICVS AVG. This legend occurs on radiates of Tetricus from Mint II with FIDES MILITVM reverses, the longer IMP C P ESV TETRICVS AVG legends being earlier in date. CONCORDIA AVG with a figure of Concordia holding a patera and cornucopia (or sometimes caduceus) is also used at the start of Tetricus' reign but at Mint I.

Interestingly, Domitianus' only known reverse is CONCORDIA MILITVM as on our coin but without the standard.

The clear similarities to Domitianus' surviving issue and the FIDES MILITVM types at Mint II would suggest that this is an early (though not, with its IMP TETRICVS AVG legend, the very earliest) issue from Mint II, echoing the reverse typology of the unlucky Domitianus. Thus we can add a hitherto unknown reverse type to Tetricus I's output at Mint II.

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Re: CONCORDIA MILITVM - a new type for Tetricus I at Mint II
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »
As the French would say, "chapeau" for making anything out of that coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity