Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins size variation.  (Read 574 times)

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Coins size variation.
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:29:29 pm »
Why such a wide variation of size in femal impairal coins. Theodora RICVIII 91 14mm 1.2 grams. Galeria Valeria RIC 50c 22mm 6.3 grams and finaly Aelia Flaccilla RIC 34 22mm 4.1 grams. I know that they made a small module of Aelia Flaccilla that looks exactly the same as the large modual. No variation same ledgans even. I have no other coins as large as hers for the time period. Can anyone tell me the reason. I also Have Helena the larger minted in Siscia the smaller in Constantanople in two different sizes. but I did not post them, because they are closer in size for the period then the others. I do love my women.
David V McCallum II

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Re: Coins size variation.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:11:46 pm »
If nothing why is the Aleia so large?
David V McCallum II

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Coins size variation.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:00:57 am »
David,

I am not quite sure of what you are asking. 

The coins that you posted are obviously different denominations from very different times and thus have different sizes.

But you seem to be noting discrepencies in some of your coins with other examples of the same denomination and time.  I am not sure that this is the case.

The Aelia Flaccilla was issued in two parallel denominations - an AE4 and an AE2.  The larger AE2 (yours) was struck on the same 1/60 of a Roman pound standard as the contemporary GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor standing on galley, struck at Eastern mints.  Your 4.1 grams is a little low as the theoretical weight was 5.45 g and averages were around 4.8 or 4.9 but as all such coins were struck al marco - that is at 60 to the pound with no necessity of getting each at 1/60th of a pound - and yours is worn and has been cleaned so such variation is not unusual at all.

Your Theodora is a little on the light side but that is again not unusual.  This is more in line with the 337-341 average for all the small AE4s.

Your Galeria Valeria is heavy but you have to remember that these were struck at two weight standards - briefly at the heavier 1/48 L, which gives a theoretical weight of 6.81 g, and then from the end of 309 till 311 at the reduced 1/72 L or 4.54 g.  So yours is a heavier one from circa 308-309.

As for the Helena, do you mean the PAX PVBLICA type?  In theory this was only struck at one standard during its 337-341 life.  But the averages were falling throughout this period and as I noted above their is wide discrepancy in given weights for many reasons.

Hope this helps a bit.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity