Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eric Brock (commodus) passed away  (Read 17135 times)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Re: Eric Brock (commodus) passed away
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 02:39:02 pm »
We'll remember you Eric.
On this picture taken from the "post a pic of you" thread, you seem to have been a happy an lucky man.

Wherever you are, take care
Potator

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 04:33:33 pm »
He's going to be badly missed. Condolences to his family and friends.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »
My deepest condolences to Eric's family at this difficult time.

I am truly shocked.

A giant amongst us has gone.

Malcolm

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 07:47:55 pm »
Dear Board,

Eric, who I often called Commodus out of habit, was a dear friend, and still is.  I hope everyone understands that.  No one is truly gone.

Sincerely and with my deepest, deepest condolences,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »
So sad to hear of this news -  :'(

He will be greatly missed.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »
A man of common sense, modesty and tact. He will be greatly missed on this Forum as I am sure he is elsewhere.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »
i have been in contact with Eric's wife Shannon, who wrote a far more in depth obituary than the one from the local paper. after reading it myself i have to wonder if any of us really realized what an amazing guy he was?
with her permission i am reposting it here so all his friends can read it too...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/shreveporttimes/obituary.aspx?n=eric-john-brock&pid=154854978

~   ~   ~

Eric John Brock

SHREVEPORT, LA - The visitation for Eric John Brock will be held from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday, December 5, 2011 at Rose-Neath Marshall Street. A private interment will be held later.

Local historian, author, and historic preservationist Eric John Brock died in Shreveport on November 30, 2011, at the age of 45 as the result of a heart attack. He was born on September 24, 1966, in Berkeley, California, but he moved with his family to Shreveport at a very early age and became one of her most devoted citizens. Mr. Brock, a 1988 graduate of Centenary College of Louisiana, was the author of over 500 articles on Shreveport, Northwest Louisiana, and Louisiana historical topics. His columns "The Presence of the Past," for the Shreveport Journal and "A Look Back" for the Forum Weekly and the sixteen books he wrote on Shreveport and Louisiana history will help to preserve the memory of a life cut tragically too short. The city of Shreveport will forever be indebted to Eric for his numerous contributions preserving Shreveport's past.

A favorite quotation of Eric's was by Jim Hightower: "The middle of the road is for yellow lines and dead armadillos," and it is not surprising that this sentiment resonated with him. Everything Eric did, he did with passion and intensity. With unswerving loyalty, Eric was always ready to engage in battle for any person or cause that he loved, armed with his encyclopedic knowledge of a wide range of subjects and his razor-sharp wit. But those closest to him also knew a quieter, though no less committed, side of him as well. He is remembered by many for his eager willingness to share his vast knowledge of a number of topics, ranging from Shreveport history to classical numismatics. Both his kind heart and his doorway would open to any cat in need of a home, despite his allergies. He will by missed by his beloved cats, Buddy, Huey, Princess, and Allie, and preceded in death by Puddie, Brooki, Baby, and Henry. In one of his final acts of generosity, as Eric began focusing more of his research on ancient Roman history and culture, he donated his extensive collection of historic Shreveport images and memorabilia, collected over a lifetime, to the LSUS Archives, where they will be available for research to the public.

His grandparents Marion Laflin Berg and Warner Edward Berg preceded Mr. Brock in death. He is mourned by his widow, Shannon Glasheen Brock, his mother, Victoria Berg Brock, both of Shreveport, LA; his father, Robert Donald Brock of El Cajon, CA; grandmother, Frances J. Smith Brock of Poway, CA;

The family wishes to thank the physicians and staff in MICU at LSUHSC for their concerned care.

The family suggests memorials may be made to the Oakland Preservation Society of Shreveport at oaklandcemeteryla.org or to The Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary of Rome, Italy at www. romancats.com.

Requiescat in pace.

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »
Being new to this community, I did not know Mr. Brock, but I am certain I am diminished by his passing. My condolences to his family. Requiescat in pace.
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »
To the Brock family, my deepest condolences. I knew Eric (Commodus) only through Forvm but even though that may be the case he was able to have an impact on my life through helping me and always taking the time to answer my questions. We shared many personal emails on the subject of something we both loved deeply, ancient coins.
If Eric put half as much passion into his family that he did into this hobby you were very lucky indeed to have had him in your life.

My very deepest condolences to the family of this most kind, intelligent, family man.  May God be with him and you. Thanks for sharing him with us.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 01:26:31 am »
May you be comforted this season and blessed for this coming year.  Eric will indeed be missed!
Your family will be in our prayers...

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity