Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Varahran II - coin with his familly  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Varahran II - coin with his familly
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:47:31 pm »
Hi,

What you think about below coin? Varahran II with familly. Maybe who know why this king strucked such coins - with his wife and son?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Varahran II - coin with his familly
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 04:43:29 pm »
What's the political background? I'm speculating, but they could have been particularly powerful, or maybe he wanted to emphasise his having a legitimate heir.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »
Thanks Robert for your reply. I heard about hypothesis that this small person against kings and queen it is Anahit - old persian goddess. Maybe it is investiture, coronation scene. The king received from Anahit diadem. OK. But why this person (the goddess) is smaller than king? Strange... ???

Best regards,
Piotr

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:48:01 am »
I have read that the smaller person on the obverse was the heir apparent and that with the change with headgear, there was a change in the supposed heir.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:08:30 pm »
So have I, but s/he does appear to be holding out a diadem. I'm not sure how that would fit with the heir hypothesis.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:05:51 pm »
I agree with Robert that heir hypothesis is poor.

This person has a crown with eagle. The eagle was a symbol of Anahit.
In Catologue SNS of Israel I find information: "....opposite the two busts small bust with left profile on a frontal bust; crown cap adorned with eagle's head....". Thus this person is not clear, but some light give the description of reverse this coin: ".... to the left of the altar attendant with stylized crown of Wahram II, right hand extended towards Anahita, left hand resting in scabbard, to the right of the altar attendant with stylised crown of Anahita, handing over diadem wreath to Wahram II."
Please notice that this person on ther reverse has the same crown like small person on the obverse. Thus, maybe Anahita? What do you think?

Best regards,
Piotr

All coins are guaranteed for eternity