Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 11:58:54 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Parthian and Other Eastern Coins (Moderator: Howard Cole)  |  Topic: Varahran II - coin with his familly 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Varahran II - coin with his familly  (Read 803 times)
Orpio
Consul

« on: November 24, 2011, 12:47:31 pm »

Hi,

What you think about below coin? Varahran II with familly. Maybe who know why this king strucked such coins - with his wife and son?
Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 02:43:29 pm »

What's the political background? I'm speculating, but they could have been particularly powerful, or maybe he wanted to emphasise his having a legitimate heir.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Orpio
Consul

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:00:21 pm »

Thanks Robert for your reply. I heard about hypothesis that this small person against kings and queen it is Anahit - old persian goddess. Maybe it is investiture, coronation scene. The king received from Anahit diadem. OK. But why this person (the goddess) is smaller than king? Strange... Huh

Best regards,
Piotr
Howard Cole
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:48:01 am »

I have read that the smaller person on the obverse was the heir apparent and that with the change with headgear, there was a change in the supposed heir.

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:08:30 pm »

So have I, but s/he does appear to be holding out a diadem. I'm not sure how that would fit with the heir hypothesis.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Orpio
Consul

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 03:05:51 pm »

I agree with Robert that heir hypothesis is poor.

This person has a crown with eagle. The eagle was a symbol of Anahit.
In Catologue SNS of Israel I find information: "....opposite the two busts small bust with left profile on a frontal bust; crown cap adorned with eagle's head....". Thus this person is not clear, but some light give the description of reverse this coin: ".... to the left of the altar attendant with stylized crown of Wahram II, right hand extended towards Anahita, left hand resting in scabbard, to the right of the altar attendant with stylised crown of Anahita, handing over diadem wreath to Wahram II."
Please notice that this person on ther reverse has the same crown like small person on the obverse. Thus, maybe Anahita? What do you think?

Best regards,
Piotr
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Parthian and Other Eastern Coins (Moderator: Howard Cole)  |  Topic: Varahran II - coin with his familly « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop