Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 12:50:42 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Pompeii is Crumbling 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pompeii is Crumbling  (Read 375 times)
Mat
Caesar

Ancient Coin Addict

« on: November 08, 2011, 07:11:08 pm »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/travelnews/2011/11/111107-pompeii-italy-science-travel-collapse-eu/

This just makes me sad Sad

MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients
SkySoldier
Comitia Curiata II
Consul

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:21:19 am »

I got a chance to see Pompeii while I was stationed in Germany several years ago and it didn't look like the place was being maintained then.  I chalked it up to the fact that the U.S. is probably a bit obsessive when it comes to historical sites.  Looks like that Pompeii has just been let go.

In the JAN 2003 Celator, there's a good article by Marvin Tameanko on the coin finds of Pompeii.  It's really interesting, with a map of the finds and several tables on date, location, description and composition of the finds; I believe over 70 in all.  The article also talks about the distribution of denominations, as well as a hoard that was possibly buried in pre-imperial times.  Some of the hoards were found with skeletons, most likely folks trying to escape the eruption with their life savings.  Adds poignancy to the hoards.  

LordBest
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:58:21 am »

You may want to read this:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2011/10/has-another-pompeii-wall-collapsed.html
The short answer is 'no'.

By chance I am on the site of Pompeii for the weekend. It is now swarming with more journalists than tourists, and all (it seems) with a determination to hype another collapse, another Pompeian disaster. That is to say, they are here with a determined misunderstanding of what has just happened -- or with a drive to use any damage to the site as a stick with which to beat Berlusconi
                                                                                             LordBest. Cool

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10003

Young Fogey.

What Would Machiavelli Do?

Inter arma enim silent leges
- Cicero
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Pompeii is Crumbling « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop