Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximianus AE Fraction  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Legatus

• Consul
Maximianus AE Fraction
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:25:32 pm »
I just purchased this magnificent coin of Maximianus and just wanted to show it off here since no one in my house seems to care.  This coin has perhaps the best portrait of any of my base metal coins and is what drew me to it in the first place.  It is a RIC VI 46b, minted at Alexandria circa 296-7 AD:

OBV:  IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right
REV:   CONCORDIA MILITVM, emperor standing right in military dress, short sceptre in left hand, receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter standing left, holding sceptre; Delta between, ALE in ex.
3.5g, 22mm
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=30485

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Maximianus AE Fraction
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:57 pm »
Legatus,

That's why we're all here: the rest of the world thinks we're nuts ;)

That's a beauty!

I like the way the patina has rubbed off and sets off the details.

mz

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:19:05 am »
Legatus,

I can sympathise with you.

It is a beautiful coin.  The nice things with coins that have one face that is spectacular and another that is more on the average side is that there is no question about which side to display....

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

maximinvs

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:57:54 am »
Hi Legatus,
A beauty to be sure. The Alexandrian portraiture from this period is a personal favorite.

You might be surprised however to learn that your coin is of Galerius, not Herculius. The obverse legend is IMP C MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, making this coin RIC VI 59b and placing in the Second Tetrachy, 305-307AD.

Regards,
Ian

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:03:36 pm »
I love the depth of relief on the Alexandrian coins of the time.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:38 pm »

That's what brought it to my attention in the first place.  If only all my base metal coins had such nice busts.  But then this one wouldn't have stood out, would it? I also see where I made the mistake when I attributed the coin.  Good eye Ian and thanks for pointing it out to me.  I appreciate all the comments.

Legatus

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:04:21 am »

Definitely appealing.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:07:39 am »
What a "stern" and "determined" look on his face..."don't mess with me"!

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 08:27:25 am »
I haven't received the actual coin just yet. The image is that of the seller, so we'll see if it's as good in hand.  I certainly hope so.  But lately I have purchased coins that looked outstanding in the seller's image only to be somewhat disappointed once I had the coin in hand.  The digital imagery available to just about anyone who takes the time to learn, is amazing.  Even so, when I decide to buy a coin I'd like to be certain the one I see is the one I get (without paint shop touch up if you know what I mean).  Hopefully I won't be disappointed with this coin.

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »
I know how you feel when I get a coin I been hunting for I have no one to tell but myself. No one cares in my house, they may when I die and they sell the collection.
David V McCallum II

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »
Aint that the truth.

Lentulus Batiatus

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 02:46:37 pm »
Fantastic portrait and best fraction of the Tetrarchy  I've ever seen, congratulations

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:44 pm »
Fantastic portrait and best fraction of the Tetrarchy  I've ever seen, congratulations

Thank you. It's the bust that made me want this coin in the first place. 

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:16:06 pm »
I have an Maximian but it does not have the depth of your coin not that mine is bad but I like the depth of yours. Mine is RIC V 595 Definatly shows mint style differances. I also have RIC 622r. Not in as good a condition but it has some variations. and a nice patina.
David V McCallum II

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:58:41 pm »
I have an Maximian but it does not have the depth of your coin not that mine is bad but I like the depth of yours. Mine is RIC V 595 Definatly shows mint style differances.
Yours is post reform in addition to mint difference.  Nice coin.  It does show the differences between mint styles.

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 01:25:16 pm »
Why do all my Alexandia minted coins look like little hocky pucks. All the bust look very similar and the only  way I can tell who is on the coin is by the legand. I have guite a few Alexandia minted coin of different emporers but the bust all look the same. This is my Maxinianus BMC 2578 and a Diocleatian BMC 2499. Is this because they had no idear of what the emporer looked like.
David V McCallum II

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 09:38:37 pm »
Why do all my Alexandia minted coins look like little hocky pucks. All the bust look very similar and the only  way I can tell who is on the coin is by the legand. I have guite a few Alexandia minted coin of different emporers but the bust all look the same. This is my Maxinianus BMC 2578 and a Diocleatian BMC 2499. Is this because they had no idear of what the emporer looked like.
Without looking up your Maximianus coin, I'm fairly certain your Diocletian is or should be attributed as Diocletian Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria. Year 1 = 284/285 AD. A K GOYA L DIOKLHTIANOC CEB, laureate draped bust right / LA, Elpis standing left, holding flower, a long sash (?) hanging from her arm, & clutching hem of robe (Milne 4750).  Take a look at this link:

http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/diocletian/milne_4750.jpg

Your Maximianus may well be a Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria as well.  These are considered PROVINCIAL coinage. 

Legatus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity