Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Augustus got Egged! Before and After  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
My Augustus got Egged! Before and After
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »
There's been talk about toning with a boiled egg.  Here's one of mine that I toned this way.  The before picture isn't very good, but it was completely cleaned by the dealer and shiny.  No tone at all. I far prefer it egged. I'm going to do another treatment on the obverse to darken it a bit more, but I thought I would post the pics so far.

Nemo

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: My Augustus got Egged! Before and After
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:24:48 pm »
Nemo,

I'm not sure how I feel about that...yet.

How do you feel about it so far?

mz

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »
Not sure about it either.  I love rainbow toning but not sure I would do this.  Then again, simply putting a silver coin in a manila paper envelope causes coins to get a beautiful deep tone as well. If you like it that is all that matters.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:59:58 pm »
Well, I have no doubt that if had done this to a denarius of Tiberius, he would see to it that I was thrown down the Gemonian Stairs....repeatedly.   I think Augustus, on the other hand, would simply roll his eyes and "suggest" I not do this again.

That being said, I would NEVER do this to a coin that was naturally toned, even lightly.  Only coins that are shiny like a new quarter.  The before picture gives the impression that it had some natural toning, it did not.  I personally do not like the appearance shiny ancient coins at all.  I feel this toning is better than shiny.  There is also a nice depth and character, for example, the contrast between Caius and Lucius arms and he shields.

I have a shiny Antiochus VII that I plan on doing next. 

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »
I just leave overcleaned silver; it retones naturally in a fairly short time. Those colours are too exaggerated for me.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity