Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My method for cleaning coins  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Shandorr

• Consul
My method for cleaning coins
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:54:29 pm »
The cleaning process takes only one day, rarely, a few days.
In the first two photos are coins photographed this morning, before cleaning.
On the other two photos look tonight after I cleaned them.
However some coins I have yet to fix it tomorrow (If I get done, because I have accumulated a lot of work).
In the lot, I found:two coins of the Emperor Diocletian, one coin of Emperor Numerianus,
seven coins of the Emperor Aurelian, two coins of the Emperor Probus, three coins of the Emperor Constantine,
one coin of Emperor Maximianus,one coin of Emperor Licinius, one coin of Emperor Constantius Gallus,
one coin of Emperor Gallienus, and one coin I have not found emperor.
Reverse is also not yet defined, because I just finished cleaning. This work - the determination of reverse (I highest do not like that part of job), I leave for the next few days.
I hope that you like my way of cleaning.
Best Regards from Shandorr

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: My method for cleaning coins
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:35:39 pm »
And what would that method of cleaning be?

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:32:27 pm »
I think Shandorr wants us to guess. My bet is 1% 8-oxyquinoline in petroleum jelly.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline Shandorr

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:02:50 pm »
Everything depends on the amount of accumulated sediment and its hardness.
There is no universal method, although similar methods of cleaning coins. Everything depends on the degree of accumulated sediment and corrosion on coins.
I will try to present my most common way of cleaning (I hope you will understand, because I do not speak very well English - my apologies in advance).
Coins must be cleaned chemically and mechanically. The purpose of chemical treatment of a coin, is that it can reduce the strength of sediment, but is little (less) destroy the patina (patina unfortunately 100% can be saved).
Coins must be first boiled in a mild acetic acid at 5 minutes (6 -9%, vinegar for food, to add a salad). Then, the coins must be in the liquid than half hour, to two hours (depending on how intense the sediment on coins).
Then, the coins would be cooked in a solution of water and baking soda 5-10 minutes. Then they must exists in the liquid from one hour to two hours (all depends on the amount and strength of the sediment on them).
After that, mechanically cleaned, electric sander. At an electric grinder to be mounted only brush true soft brass (to the less damaging the patina on the coin). Be sure to use safety goggles and face mask because the dust is toxic.
Coins are treated mechanically, until, on them to create a thin layer of brass. So the coins seem like they are gold (do not worry, this layer protects brass, patina, which is below). This part of the cleaning the most challenging, because it is necessary a great experience, not to destroy the coins, (I advise you to learn mechanical treatment of the poor coins).
After the mechanical treatment, coins are again cooked in a mild solution of baking soda and water for about 5 minutes. Then they must exists in the liquid for one hour (so with these coins have been cleaned existing thin layer of brass).
When the coins they are dry,  they were then cleaned about 80%.
Then it must be 100% dry (it is necessary to remove all the moisture from them, you can use a hair dryer). After that, apply Vaseline on the coins with 10% sulfur (mixtures can be purchased at better pharmacies). Good rubbed the coins, then wipe the rest of the cream. Then take your Dental Supplies or tapering tree, and gently remove the few rest sediment on coins (because of the spread with vaseline remaining sediment can easily waste a coins).

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 03:59:24 am »
They look how you would expect them to look after this kind of cleaning.
Andreas Reich

marrk

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:26:48 am »
patina is destroyed. of sulfur are darkened. scampish method of cleaning. imho

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:59:21 pm »
You have completely destroyed any remains of any Patina.

You can save yourself some pain and use electrolysis.

Much quciker, and since you don't care about the Patina, the results would be the same, and quciker.

I would NOT recomend your method to anyone.

IMO

All coins are guaranteed for eternity