Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lighting choice?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Lighting choice?
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:51:22 pm »
These two images are of the same coin with one minor lighting difference.  Which is more appealing? Why?  Did you select one because you found the other unnatural or can you tell no significant difference?

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Lighting choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:11:26 pm »
I have to go with the bottom one, the top one has some yellowing on the top left bust portrait around the wreath. Not sure if thats the coins toning or lighting issue.

Also on the reverse of the top one, the face on the figure on the right looks like it has deposits where it looks normal on the bottom.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:20:21 pm »
I like the top coin better to me it looks like more detail comes out on it.  The bottom coin looks like lighting I would want if you were taking a portrait of a face (softer not as harsh) but for a coin I was buying I would like the quality of the top one.

Pete Peters

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:23:18 pm »
I agree, I like the top image better. It has slightly better detail.

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »
I like the way the lighting on the obverse of the lower picture it drew my eye  right to the faces and eyes.  
The way the upper picture was lit  seemed to draw attention to the top and back of the head.
For the reverses I did not have a great preference either way, but did lean toward the upper picture. I can't say why though.
Eric

P.S. Great coin

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:10:03 am »
I don't see a great difference - except - on the bottom picture the coin appears to have a white line around it which makes the coin look less 'natural'.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:41 am »
The one on top seems to have a broader range of lighting.  The highlights are the same, but the darkest areas seem darker on the top pic.  It looks more detailed and vibrant.  Just a little less flat.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:48 am »
Dino is right but the differences he sees are accidental and minor to my eye compared to what PeterD called a white line around the coin.  The lower image added a ring light directed on the edges of the coin in the hope of making the serrate edges more distinct.  The question which I could not ask in the first post without prejudicing answers is whether this added light made the result look unnatural.  The number of people who did not mention the edge difference suggests that was not a problem to them but PeterD saw it even more strongly than I did when calling it a white  line.  I believe the effect is a bit too strong so I'll have to try it again with less rim light.  

I decided that I preferred black backgrounds except when the edge of the coin was a factor as it is with serrate denarii when the gray or white backgrounds looked better.  However anything added to a light set up that shouts out that something unnatural is being done is not good.  Below are the same images as above (now left and right) with a compromise in the middle showing a weaker edge fill in the hope of improving the edge rendition without tripping the 'unnatural' look that PeterD so correctly observed.  

Many coins require being photographed several times to get them the way I want them.  It is not a matter of right and wrong but very much a matter of opinion.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:21:16 am »
I agree with crawford. Top best for rev., better facial features in right figure.

Bottom best for obv., for contrast and lack of extraneous yellow color.

The rev difference is more important in this case.

~Steve

Edit; I like the center compromise the best.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity