Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hole!?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Belisarius

• Consul
Hole!?
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:39 am »
Hello,

I have a bog-standard one-standard Gloria Exercitus coin (Constantius II I think) with a small, neat circular hole in the bottom right, roughly on the legs of the right hand soldier/shoulders of Constantius. It measures c.2mm.

My question is what is this for? It doesn't appear to be corrosion, could it have been worn at some point as jewellery?

Thanks!

Belisarius
"...horum omnium fortissimi sunt belgae!"
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:
www.forumancientcoins.com/

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
Re: Hole!?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:58:17 am »
Yes, from your description it sounds like situation where the hole was put into it in order to allow it to be worn as jewelry.  This seems to be a fairly common occurence, especially with less expensive/more common LRBs such as your Gloria Exercitus.  I've got a couple holed coins myself.  They can often be picked up at a discount to otherwise similiar pieces.

A lot of times these coins will be worn almost smooth from wear.

Warning: even though coins were worn as jewelry, the last time I bought a coin at auction, my wife found it in the mail and I attempted to pass it off as an anniversary gift.  The results were predictable and I would not recommend anyone else try this. ;D

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:36:27 am »
Warning: even though coins were worn as jewelry, the last time I bought a coin at auction, my wife found it in the mail

At least its not just me.

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:45:21 am »
Quote from: Lucas H on August 26, 2011, 08:36:27 am
Warning: even though coins were worn as jewelry, the last time I bought a coin at auction, my wife found it in the mail

Me too.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:14:14 am »
If you find a holed coin that is nice and not 'iffy', i.e. rough or corroded, it is a good way to force your hobby on the women in your family by giving them necklaces. Make them feel guilty if they don't wear them as often as you'd like.  ;D
Andreas Reich

Offline Belisarius

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30:33 am »
I'll bear that in mind!

Many thanks for all your help!

Belisarius
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:

Teresa P

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:46:10 am »
Quote from: Lucas H on August 26, 2011, 08:36:27 am
Me too.
If you find a holed coin that is nice and not 'iffy', i.e. rough or corroded, it is a good way to force your hobby on the women in your family by giving them necklaces. Make them feel guilty if they don't wear them as often as you'd like.  ;D
Don't tell your wife you are starting a collection until you have taken some preemptive measures. Reading  " The Taming of the Shrew" ( W.S.) will give you some inspiration. Forget about Romeo and Juliet.

Bunch of asinine kids, including you benito.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:25:41 am »
Bunch of asinine kids, including you benito.

(that initial post of mine was all wrong).  I meant to say "guilty as charged."

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 01:40:52 pm »
Many years ago I had a wife who criticized my collecting and what I spent on it.
I no longer am married to her, I still collect, and I have another wife who is prettier and never criticizes my collecting.
True story, with a moral.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 02:14:19 pm »
You can always make them happy with a pic (see below)

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 12:12:36 am »
to me .2mm is too small to be a hole for jewelry.   It may be a defect in the brass / silver planchett that was the basis for the coin
blank

Bigger holes were often a sign that someone found out the coin was false and put a nail through it to hang it up somewhere.
I have one of these unique coins....

Offline Belisarius

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 12:24:22 pm »
I think you've misunderstood me - I meant c. 2mm not 0.2mm - enough to put a string, wire or (possibly) chain through it. Surely it would be roughtly comparable with a 'charm bracelet' or necklace?

Belisarius
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »
ahh the c.2mm confused me there .... feel kinda dumb

All coins are guaranteed for eternity