Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Proof that barbarous coins are pretty rare.....  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Proof that barbarous coins are pretty rare.....
« on: October 17, 2011, 11:02:13 am »
I have always liked a pungent title, but yes I found some nice coins:
The first one has been in my Pius collection long, as it bears nr 91 and the one I got this week is 478.
They are both imitations of a dupondius RIC 933 with a reverse that reads ERTAS COS IIII instead of LIBERTAS COS IIII
I think both items are of the same dies, but 478 has a defect at 12 o'clock on the obverse and must have been struck slightly later than 91.
They are both light for dupondii: 9.30 and 6.65 respectively. Same die usually means small output or extreme luck.
Wonder what you think of them.

Frans

addendum: they were both found in England!

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Proof that barbarous coins are pretty rare.....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:40:35 am »
very nice  +++
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:05:10 pm »
Fascinating coins.  There seem to be more second century bronzes copies in Britain than elsewhere.  Whenever I get to look at second century bronzes I carry a small magnet, hoping to discover one of the rare bronze over iron core imitations.  They are mainly or perhaps from northern Britain.  I have seen a couple, but never found one.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:06:23 am »
Early (British) numismatists coined (no pun intended) the phrase 'barbarous radiates' because they thought that they were produced by the Angles, Saxons and Jutes who moved in to Britain when the Romans left. It has since been shown that they were, in fact, contemporaneous with the coins they imitate. So not really produced by 'barbarians' unless you consider the Romanised inhabitants of Britain and Gaul to be barbarians.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:28:20 am »
Nice find. Made my think of this pair of imitative dupondii of Trajan that I had a couple of years ago. Imitations of RIC 385 (Prototype).
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity