Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: magnifier  (Read 980 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
magnifier
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:41:16 pm »
I've never felt the need to use a magnifying glass to look at coins but, as I age, am starting to need help looking at fine details at coin shows to avoid surprises when I get home and photograph a coin.  I just received a new toy which is advertised as a 45x microscope and includes a bright 2 LED light that really gets you close to little flaws that you will not see with the naked eye.  It is only about 1.5 inches long and only shows a very small part of a coin (about 3-4 letters of a legend).  It will never substitute for a real microscope but it does fit easily in the smallest pocket.  At under $4 including batteries and postage, I believe it will come in handy when I go to the show next month.  If it saves me from buying one wrong coin, great!  It is obviously a cheap toy but the image is bright and clear after you adjust the focus to your eye.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: magnifier
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:31:42 pm »
I've never felt the need to use a magnifying glass to look at coins but, as I age, am starting to need help looking at fine details at coin shows to avoid surprises when I get home and photograph a coin.  I just received a new toy which is advertised as a 45x microscope and includes a bright 2 LED light that really gets you close to little flaws that you will not see with the naked eye.  It is only about 1.5 inches long and only shows a very small part of a coin (about 3-4 letters of a legend).  It will never substitute for a real microscope but it does fit easily in the smallest pocket.  At under $4 including batteries and postage, I believe it will come in handy when I go to the show next month.  If it saves me from buying one wrong coin, great!  It is obviously a cheap toy but the image is bright and clear after you adjust the focus to your eye.

Nice. Do you have a brand name for it so I could find one on the internet?

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
At that price it is hard to go wrong.
Have you tried it without the light?  In the photo the light portion looks removable, making an even smaller package.  I would be temped to get one or two for the kids.
Time to do a web search.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:30:36 am »
I also have some issues with sight and have several different magnifiers.

Ironically, I have the same style at 60x magnification! Mine has the white light and also a switch for a low level blue light. Yours kind of looks like it may have the same.

For some reason I couldn't find the one at 45x but did find one at 60x. I am sure if you look hard enough you can find the 45x. Here is the link for the 60x.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeweller-LED-60x-Magnifier-Mini-pocket-zoom-Microscope-/390326273351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1424547

Cheers,

Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity