Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: two more Sassanians  (Read 1074 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
two more Sassanians
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:31:41 pm »
I feel bad always asking for confirmations on these but I find them appealing and only buy coins that I feel have ID points clear enough to read but when comparing to the books and Toms website, I'm not nearly as confident (and wrong a good part of the time).

The first I see as Hormazd IV year 12 but depending on the source I am trying to match it seems to be mint NAH or NYHCL (Ctesiphon???).  If not, I would appreciate a word on what squiggle might have sent me astray.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: two more Sassanians
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:34:22 pm »
The second I'm calling  Khusru II MY year 3?

tkmallon

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:59:47 am »
Pretty dang close: H4: WYH year 12; K2: MY year 2

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:48:09 am »
Thanks.  I may have to give up on these and stick to something easy like Devanagari? 

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:06:39 am »
देवनागरी is not easy for me, I do think it is a beautiful script though.  It would probably be easier if one could see more than half a charter or word on a coin at a time though.
The difficult translation and transliteration is part of the fun and challenge of ancient coins.  I would rather wrestle and ask for help with श्री समानता देवा or 通 and 元 than try to talk  about the difference between an MS 64 and An MS 65 dime. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity