Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justinian I (Sear 340) undescribed monogram? mint?  (Read 954 times)

Offline Jan

• Consul
Justinian I (Sear 340) undescribed monogram? mint?
« on: January 28, 2010, 04:11:14 pm »
I have identified this 9 mm coin as Sear 340, uncertain mint. Any additional information you may add is much appreciated. I have searched the internet for information, but found almost nothing. Unfortunately I do not have MIBE available, but would really have liked to see what it says about mint, rarity etc.

The monogram appears to be unusual with the "S" above instead of below, perhaps undescribed?

I miss CoinArchives  :(, I would have liked to see if one of these had been sold during the last years.

Best wishes
Jan

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Justinian I (Sear 340) undescribed monogram? mint?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:42:51 am »
DOC has this coin as shown (372) with a S in wreath, in DOC it is the only example of 372/sear 340

cw

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:47:25 am »
Thank you cw!

I have added a picture with the usual monogram on sear 340 for comparison.

I am guessing that this coin was minted in Rome. The obverse is similar to Sear 310:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=sear+310&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1#1

The monogram is also similar in style to the monograms of Athalaric and Theodahad on 2½ nummi minted in Rome 526-536. The production may then have continued when the Byzantine Empire took over the Rome mint from the Ostrogoths in 536, and slightly modified the monogram to fit Justinian instead.

These are my own speculations based on a very limited literature search. MIBE and other sources may perhaps tell another story.

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »
Intuitively, the style of the head looks more like Ravenna mint to me. This would place the coin in the vicinity of Sear 326A, which has a different monogram, but also with the S on top. (Of course your coin is neither a match to 326A nor to 340)

byzcoll

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 04:02:41 pm »
Thank you byzcoll, that is an interesting thought. I do not have a good idea of what Sear 326A looks like. The only one I found so far looks rather odd: http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=47354

Any help with better pictures is much appreciated.

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:40:55 pm »
That example of Sear326A with its worn off obverse is even pictured with the reverse up-side down. But I do not have a photo of a good example either.

byzcoll

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:07:56 pm »
The best pictures I have available are the ones in Wroth, not very good though.

Where there any other small bronzes produced for Justinian at Ravenna after 440? As far as I know the Ostrogoths did not produce any at Ravenna before that.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity