Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Republican of the day  (Read 1298 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Republican of the day
« on: October 07, 2011, 07:31:03 am »
Q. Fufius Calenus & Mucius Cordus Sear 338, Fufia 1, Crawford 403/1

This one was supposed to commemorate the peace following the Social War and shows Italia and Roma on the reverse.  The obverse has jugate heads of Honos and Virtus.  What makes it special to me is that all four figures were labeled On the obverse we have HO and a ligature of VIRT.  On the reverse this specimen clips the I but shows the ligate TAL while the other side has RO.  I find it interesting that each side used one ligate form of 4 letters and a plain version with two letters.  Perhaps the O was a problem to that cutter in designing a ligate version? 

When I get a new coin I tend to look it up in various references both on paper and online.  That pointed out that this is a rather more worn example than it might first seem.  Compared to  the many coins with published photographs this shows the curls on Honos smoothed over by wear.   Some designs hold up better to wear than others and these high curls really protect the rest of the obverse design.  The seller called it "Choice EF" which is ridiculous but I'm still willing to call it VF. 

The photo is a test using a gray background.  I have always used black backgrounds and recently posted my trials using white.  This is a compromise.  I know that many of you believe that the background should be left however it happens to fall but I want all my coins on one background.  The problem is which one.  The coin is my offering as "..... of the day" and, perhaps I should have titled this "Gray of the day".  I wonder how I feel about it after I shoot a few more tests?

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: Republican of the day
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:53 am »
Wow.  Impressive coin.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:51:53 am »
Beautiful coin Doug. I like the grey better then the white backgrounds. In general I prefer the black as a whole though.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:11:49 am »
What a fabulous coin. I am a black background guy myself as I have had troubles with the coin colors washing out or blending in with white or grey backgrounds with my cheapy setup, but no matter how you take your pics, they all turn out great!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:37:38 am »
A great coin that seems to jump off the screen. The obverse is beautifully engraved and the jugate heads really well executed. Your photography is outstanding regardless of the background.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Misak33

• Praetorian
    • http://www.imince.net
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:28 am »
Just woooooooow!!!

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:03:15 pm »

A very nice choice VF+ :laugh: serratus .

It still makes the grade and has a tale to tell.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:29:11 am »
Beautiful coin Doug! I kinda like the grey background too, definitely neutral. The blue background I use was circumstantial and after using so long I just stayed with it.

Offline vitellivs

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 10:02:21 am »
Great coin and beautiful photo!

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 03:51:11 pm »
Beautiful coin Doug! I kinda like the grey background too, definitely neutral. The blue background I use was circumstantial and after using so long I just stayed with it.

Thanks.  I am afraid that what will have to go in the end is my desire for all coins in my collection to be shot the same way.  I may start using gray on new stuff and see how it goes for a while.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 04:39:04 pm »
I have to say the neutral gray background is very pleasing on the eyes and does not distract from the star of the show. And what a star! Fabulous coin indeed.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity