Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek ID help please  (Read 1156 times)

Pendrakon

Greek ID help please
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:35:28 pm »
I need some Greek ID help please. I am a Roman collector but keep finding interesting Greek coins. The obverse looks like Nike, the reverse has a winged thunderbolt within a wreath. I think it is probably Seleukid but I am definitely not an expert. I could probably redo the scan on the reverse because you can read it better in hand. 24mm and a heavy 12.3 grams. I have a copy of BMC but do not know where to look. Your help is appreciated-

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Greek ID help please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:40:23 pm »
I would agreee with you that it is probably Seleucid, but the obverse will probably turn out to be the ruler and not Nike. :) Hopefully rover will see this thread as he is the go to guy on this type of coinage (and other types as well for that matter!).

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Scribonius Probus

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:56 am »
How about Sear 6795 in Wildwinds, or something close to it?

Gary

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:14:23 am »
Philip V of Macedon.

Barry Murphy

Pendrakon

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:34:53 am »
Hi Barry-
Bingo! I think we have a match! This one is 12.3 grams. Where would I find it listed?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:50:49 am »
Here you find a bunch of them, together with references:
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=%28philip+philipp%29+v+%28makedonien+macedon%29+%28thunderbolt+blitzb%C3%BCndel%29+%28strahlenkranz+strahlenkrone+radiate%29&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#0

Most have at the top of the reverse the  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Iota: monogram as on your coin.
But they differ in the monograms on the bottom of the reverse, if they have any.
On the pictures I do not recognise if there are monograms and which ones :-\.

Here http://coins.ekt.gr/coinsSearch.jsp?lang=en you can search for "Philip V" and "Thunderbolt" and you will find even more specimens with rather detailed descriptions.

Regards

Altamura

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:44:04 am »
Philip V of Macedon.

Barry Murphy

yes - and interesting in that these seem to be among the largest/heaviest Macedonian Kingdom bronze coins.  these stand out.

PtolemAE

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:45:18 pm »
Wow! I was way off! Nice coin, btw.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Pendrakon

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:54:35 pm »
Thanks guys for your help on this one. I would never have figered it out by myself!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity