Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sabina Bronze 18mm  (Read 528 times)

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Sabina Bronze 18mm
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:22:12 pm »
Is this RIC 411 Hadrian I just bought it they wanted 80US got it for 20US. Any and all help wellcomed. Thank you in advance. This is my first Sabina nice portiat, the coin is ruff but it's one I could afford.
David V McCallum II

Marko I

Re: Sabina Bronze 18mm
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:32:56 am »

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:20:45 am »
close but mine is only18mm and no braid, but thank you for the help
David V McCallum II

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 04:43:43 pm »
Hi,

It's a middle bronze (I'm never totally convinced with photo colours whether things are bronze or brass) of Sabina and I think it is RIC 1024 with Vesta seated left on the reverse with just the legend SC in the exergue. Obverse legend SABINA AVGVSTI HADRIANI AVG PP.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:22:35 am »
No its not RIC 411 ( AV and AR). I think you got the reverse right,although the condition of the coin doesn't make things easy ,Ceres seated on a basket  holding torch and corn ears. Personally I can see the torch and the seat looks more a basket than a throne or chair. IMO RIC 1023. Dp or AS.
What is the weight ? 18 mm is rather smallish for a dupondius or As.

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:45:25 pm »
Any thought that this may be provincial and not imperial?

Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity