Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Id needed Bronze coin  (Read 482 times)

coincollectorNed

Id needed Bronze coin
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:51:25 pm »
Dear all,

I have searched the internet but I cannot find more information about this coin. Can someone help me to identify this coin.
I think I see on the reverse  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Omicron: :GreeK_Sigma:

Diameter: About 18 mm
Weight: 3,86 gram

All help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance

coincollectorNed

Re: Id needed Bronze coin
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:20:35 pm »
Hello,

Is there anyone who has a suggestion in which direction I have to search?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:06:33 pm »
Hello,

Is there anyone who has a suggestion in which direction I have to search?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

looks like reverse has partly damaged 'bowcase' over a club, with the partial inscription that you discerned below the club.  an X next to the end of the club.  can't read what's above the bowcase and can't identify the obverse portrait due to additional damage.  there are *lots* of coin types with bowcase over club, many are macedonian but there are probably others.  hope those design elements help you get started.

PtolemAE

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 03:47:11 am »
If you are looking in Isegrim for reverse legends containing  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Omicron: :GreeK_Sigma: and reverse types with a club, then you get some coins from Erythrae and Kos.

Those from Erythrae do not fit because they have part of the legend between the bow and the club, what we do not have on the coin presented here.

From Kos you have coins like this one: http://www.acsearch.info/ext-record.html?id=152374 but with magistrate  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Omicron: :GreeK_Sigma:. It is BMC 209, 156ff.

But I think this coin is perhaps some sort of overstrike, because on the reverse you have in the upper left half something looking like parts of a star, and in the lower right half this club an bowcase motif.
So it will be difficult to find out the complete truth :(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:22 am »
I was going to say it loos like brockage as there is a depression in the top of the man's head on the obverse.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity