Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian/Lycia Myra/OTD  (Read 2115 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Gordian/Lycia Myra/OTD
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:38:06 am »

I don't often post here but this item finally arrived yesterday in the mail (forwarded to White Rock). It is an extremely rare Gordian III from the city of Lycia, Myra. It is the first that I have ever seen for sale and it is far superior to the example listed by von Aulock, (Von Aulock, Münzprägung Lycia), which has a large piece broken from the top of the coin. My example also appears to be from a different pair of dies than the von Aulock example (#169).

Obverse: AYT KAI M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC CЄB; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse: MYPE - WN; Platform with four crossed bars, in center column with smaller platform; nude(?) figure (Apollo Propylaeus (?)) standing right holding drawn bow; two palm branches to the left and right of column.
Ref: CNG Auction 88, Lot 915 (this coin); cf von Aulock Münzprägung Lycia, 169

c.rhodes

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Re: Gordian/Lycia Myra/OTD
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:34:35 pm »
Hey Charlie very nice coin congratulation on a great find and acquistion.

Pete

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52:56 pm »
Wonderful!
A real 'keeper."
PeteB

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:02:09 pm »
Really nice reverse. Very nice coin all around, actually! Enjoy and congrats. :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:11:31 am »
I can't recall seeing a more significant reverse type.  And it's pretty, too.
Pat L.

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 10:25:20 am »
Congratulation, good finding, I happy to know you won it!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:15:37 pm »
Very nice, that rev. is really neat.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:20 pm »
Fantastic coin, congratulations!

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

arykanda

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 05:17:38 am »
Hi, I wish I had seen this example 10 years ago as I did publish another specimen of the same coin which CNG seems unaware of.

"Arykanda Kazılarında Bulunan Bir Myra Sikkesi
published in "Anatolia in Daylight: Essays in Honour of Cevdet Bayburtluoğlu, pp. 238-243, Homer Kitapevi, Istanbul, 2001"

I will upload a scan of the article at http://anadolu.academia.edu/AhmetTolgaTek/Papers in a few weeks time so that you can look at it.

The reverse type is most probably showing the cult image of "Apollo Surios", of the famous fish oracle at Sura, a village of Myra. Now that excavations are underway at Myra, maybe we will learn more about the oracle site which may "not" be the temple published by George E. Bean...

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:52:16 pm »

Arykanda, I apologize for taking so long to reply. I have a hard time finding time these days for my collection. I would very much enjoy reading your paper, well looking at it anyway! Not sure I will understand the language. Anyway, I did visit the site and downloaded this paper to read: The Coins of Gordianus III found at Arykanda. Evidence for an Earthquake Relief Fund in Lycia? Lycian coins are tough to obtain but I have patience and just wait until one comes along and then if I can I try to obtain it. Your are welcome to any information I have my Lycian coins.

Thank you

c.rhodes

arykanda

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:23:46 pm »
Hi, here is the link for the article. Unfortunately my student scanned it from a xerox copy, thus the quality is absolutely terrible :( http://anadolu.academia.edu/AhmetTolgaTek/Papers/295465/Arykanda_Kazilarinda_Bulunan_Bir_Myra_Sikkesi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity