Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Should I clean this coin and how?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Should I clean this coin and how?
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »
Recently I purchased my first cleaned coin in the forum auction. (Like a kid in a candy store)

However, when I received the coin, it looked like it had some crud on it. It was packaged in a piece of regular cardboard with masking tape holding it in place. (seems strange to stick masking tape on a silver coin)

Anyways, I posted the picture from the auction and the picture of the actual coin when it arrived in the mail. Apologies in advance, for some reason, I don't do well with my digital camera when the coins are shiny. I really struggled trying to get a clear image. I am assuming (hoping) it is the same coin as the picture in the auction.

My question is can I clean it up, and if so, how would be best to do that. At this point my cleaning experience has been limited to soaking, scrubbing, and picking at Roman bronzes. I am afraid to touch this coin.

If wiser heads could direct me accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any info/help you can give me.

Love this site,

Kurt

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Should I clean this coin and how?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:39:10 pm »
Try soaking it in lemon juice for a couple of hours, then rub it gently with a
Q-tip. repeat as necessary.  Wash well in water afterwards. Blot it dry.
It should clean up nicely.
Let us know the result.
PeteB

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »
I wouldn't  soak it that long.  5-10 minutes at a time and then use the Q-tip.  Repeat as needed and don't forget to rinse it really well in Distilled Water once finished.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:04 am »
I'm thinking that it is a jacked up fouree. The "sales" pic reverse either has a lamination (possible) defect, or is the silver plating peeling up. If it is a fouree, then lemon juice will do nothing but screw it up. (a fouree is a silver plated base metal ancient counterfeit meant to be passed off as an official coin, btw)

Actually, what you recieved is a hot mess compared to the sales pic...what is that crap all over the obverse of the coin? Tape? On your reverse pic, the upper right side looks to be yellowish (brassy)...is that on the silver on does it look more like bronze in hand? Is there a clear "break" line where it goes from silver to "yellow"?

Chris

PS I re-read the above and I sounded all angry...I am not (certainly not at you!!!), but I am sorta bugged with what you recieved...
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 01:09:25 am »
Well, after looking at this coin under 20x and then 60x mag it looked like the coin was actually wrapped in tin foil then taped with masking tape to a piece of cardboard for shipping.

Anyways, I flicked at it with a pin and sure enough the foil started coming off. And by gosh, the coin actually looks like the auction picture. There is still some tinfoil remains on the coin but I decided to post the picture before continuing.

I was wondering why the coin looked so unnatural. By the way, is that the preferred method of shipping a silver coin. My gosh!!

Thank you all for the input, at least I don't have to have an emotional breakdown just yet.

Suggestions on how to get the rest of the tinfoil substance off greatly appreciated. Quick DW soak?

Cheers,

Kurt

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:31:21 am »
Ummm.  No.  Not the usual way of shipping. 

Putting it in a small paper coin envelope, a plastic flip (preferably archival plastic and not PVC) or a small plastic zip-lock bag is the normal way of shipping.  Those then fit in a cardboard mailer or can be taped (the packaging and not the coin) to cardboard.

I have had coins shipped to me that were taped directly to cardboard before - usually from France come to think of it.  But they were cheap bronzes with no decent patina and so were unharmed - though some to some soaking to get the sticky off.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 04:22:34 am »
Yea I was thinking the plastic flip too. Just glad the coin looks ok now.

I just wanted to buy a at least one silver coin before I get back to learning about the whole history behind ancient coins and how to clean and attribute them. I will be sticking to the bronzes.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 05:49:57 am »
I would tell the seller, maybe send him the pictures. He's most likely not aware that what he's doing can cause such problems.
Andreas Reich

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 04:32:19 pm »
Agree Areich, Im sure an experienced eye would be able to tell that the coin was packaged in that fashion, but as a newbie I was more bewildered than anything.

I will certainly leave a message. Hopefully all involved will benefit in the future. 

Cheers

All coins are guaranteed for eternity