Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Christodoulou  (Read 2766 times)

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Christodoulou
« on: January 15, 2004, 11:41:08 am »
I have uploaded a translation of Svoronos' 1922 work on the fakes of Christodoulos.

http://www.snible.org/coins/christodoulos/

I've also scanned and provided the plates. The plates contain 557 images of fake coins.

Writing in The Celator (August, 1994) Frank Kovacs said "Unfortunately, the quality of the photography gives a false impression of easily detected, somewhat naive forgeries when, in fact, the actual products (artificially worn to EF, VF, and even to F condition and patinated) are considerably more convincing."

I'd love to be able to illustrate a few VF or F-condition specimens of this forger. If anyone has an old Christodoulos in their black cabinet I'd love a photo or scan for the page. Feel free to contact me privately if necessary.

Christodoulos was apparently very skilled with false patinas. He managed to sell an Athenian Dekadrachm to the British Museum! It wasn't exposed as fake until Svoronos published the dies.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity