Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: So I may have my first silver on my hands...nervous to do it right  (Read 1151 times)

Paul Adkins

So I may have my first silver on my hands...nervous to do it right
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »
I have a crustie I bought several years ago in a small batch, it was dark brown dirt(concrete) and now after olive oil soaking for a year and now a few weeks of scrubbing with a brash brush, some silver around the edges are showing and I am starting to see a faint image on both side. The color of the "dirt" has lighten up very much. My concern is a. do I keep using the brass brush and when will it hurt the expose part and b. is there another way I should approach this?

I tried many times to get a decent picture, I hope this helps

rick2

Re: So I may have my first silver on my hands...nervous to do it right
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:16:02 pm »
how big is the coin ?

if its As or Dupondius size then it might be the patina that is actually breaking off

Paul Adkins

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:26:47 pm »
it is 3.4 grams and is a little shy of 21 mm at the widest.

paul

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:06 pm »
If you can tell that it is indeed silver (I see those edge spots that look clean and that they may be silver showing) then stop the brass brushing immediatly. It will scratch up a silver coin somthing fierce. Instead, drop it in a bowl and cover with lemon juice, wait 5 or 10 minutes and vigoursly brush with a nylon brush. Repeat until finished with your session, neutralize it with a baking soda bath, soak in regular DW overight. Repeat the process until fully cleaned or you are satisfied.

Chris

PS that is denarius range, weight and size wise. You may have gotten lucky! :)
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity