Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Hanukkah!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Swedish ?? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swedish ??  (Read 538 times)
Andreas G
Consul

« on: September 14, 2011, 10:41:56 am »

Hi
What is it??

W: 0.94 g
D: 16mm
BIRDSOFPREY
Praetorian

Roll Tide Roll

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:50:34 am »

Hi, I think you have a groat or ortug of the Wisby mint on Gotland.  It was issued while under Danish rule.  You can look at this website, www.danskmoent.dk/gotlg136.htm , for more information.  It's in Danish but easy to navigate.
Andreas G
Consul

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:41 am »

Thanks!!!
Jim Roberts
Consul

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:35:00 pm »

This does look like the Danish version, but I would list it as a civic issue of the town of Visby rather than a royal issue of Sweden or Denmark.  According to Bendixen (Denmark's Money) the early specimens of this type date back to about 1340 when Visby was under Swedish control, and they continued to be struck after the Danish capture of Visby in 1361.  The coin's inscriptions remained unchanged, MONETA CIVITATIS WISBVCENCIS, not mentioning any particular king or nationality.  On the later Danish version the banner above the lamb is changed to a flag with a cross according to Bendixen.  I've attached pictures of coins from my collection that I think show both types.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Swedish ?? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop