Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning bronze with lemon juice & baking soda?  (Read 3997 times)

nerd

Cleaning bronze with lemon juice & baking soda?
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:15:17 pm »
I read about using this combo for cleaning bronze, not coins, from another site and was wondering if anyone here has tried it on a coin or not. I have never cleaned a coin and I want to make sure I don't use something that will hurt it.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Cleaning bronze with lemon juice & baking soda?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:30:10 pm »
Lemon juice is an acid and will hurt a bronze coin by removing the patina.
Andreas Reich

nerd

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:45:33 pm »
I was thinking the acid wouldn't be a good thing! New to this so I wanted to be sure! Thank you.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:11:19 pm »
Lemon juice is very bad for bronze coinage.

Chris

PS If lemon juice is an acid and baking soda is a base, wouldnt they just neutralize each other and leave a lemony pasty mess?
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:20:18 pm »
Lemon juice is very bad for bronze coinage.

Chris

PS If lemon juice is an acid and baking soda is a base, wouldnt they just neutralize each other and leave a lemony pasty mess?
C.

Lol. Well sort of. Lemon juice is a strong acid And baking soda a weak base. So it would take a bunch of baking soda to neutralize a small amount of lemon juice.  Maybe the spirit of the idea is to mix them, let's say 50/50, to make a less acidic solution, thus giving the help of crud cutting of the acid without the same harshness on the patina. Olive oil being a weak acid can do the same, but darkened the patina, is messy, etc. You could also control the acidity of the lemony paste as well :)

I still wouldn't try it personally.

nerd

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »
I will just soak them over night in distilled water and then attempt some work with a dental pick and a denture brush in the morning!

Thanks for all of your info and help!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity