Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BD cleaning advice on Tiberius AE  (Read 776 times)

Offline Fides

• Praetorian
BD cleaning advice on Tiberius AE
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:32:34 am »
Hi all. I've been soaking this Tiberian AE in gringotts as per the advice I received from members

I had managed to loosed a lot of the green lumpy nastiness and remove it, esp. on the obverse. Generally, however, the green in the pits on the reverse, and the small amount remaining on the obverse haven't expanded or changed. Is this as much as I can do? Should I leave this clean as it is? Advice please!

I have also posted a link to the original thread. The original pictures there allow you to compare between the state of the coin then and its condition now from the more recent pictures I've attached to this post.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=71327.msg447038#msg447038

Thanks for looking!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: BD cleaning advice on Tiberius AE
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »
The light green stuff will have to be manually removed. If it is bd, it will be easily scraped off using a strait pin, exacto, etc. I have yet to find anything that actually "eats" bronze disease (ie, you could soak it for a million years without manual cleaning and it will still be green and easily reactivated).

The stuff circled in black is what you need to concentrate on. That is where the bd is eating in to the coin. All of those pits will have to be cleaned out. The upper stuff (circled in white) is an old and non-active looking bloom (the green on top of the reddish chalky feeling stuff). You could reduce that down to the flan level, but the red will be IN the flan, so if you decide to reduce it, make sure you stop at flan level otherwise you will have a divot in your coin after finished.

Chris

Edit: The way to do it is: manually clean, soak overnight, manually clean, soak overnight, repeat until all the pits are cleaned out (changing the bd soak water every other day or so), then let it sit out in your normal enviorment for a month or so to see if anything reactivates. If not, call it done, if so, repeat as needed.
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Fides

• Praetorian
Re: BD cleaning advice on Tiberius AE
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 04:46:46 pm »
Thanks, I'll stick to your advice!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity