Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hurricane Hitting Forum  (Read 11152 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Hurricane Hitting Forum
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »
Morehead is a hurricane magnet.  We have had three since I moved here.  Two category 2 and this one, which was only category 1 when it hit here.  We have been in the eye of two of those storms.  We stayed for the other hurricanes.  One cat 2 was in daylight and to see the power was amazing.  On TV they don't ever seem to capture what it is really like inside the heart of a hurricane.  The wind is completely steady, perfectly even and very powerful.  Close to the eye, there are no gusts.  There is no variation.  The trees don't swing back and forth, they just bend in one direction until they fall over (pulling up the roots).  On TV it always seems to look gusty.  That is not the heart of the storm.  This time we left town because it was predicted to be a category 3 (I'd never stay for anything higher than 2). 

We went to the Biltmore Estate, home of one of the Vanderbuilts and the largest home in they U.S.  They offer tours.  The estate is beautiful (French exterior).  We saw the Beach Boys in concert in the evening right outside the house.  We came back on Sunday.  We had no damage.  The neighobor kid had already cleaned up the yard (best $50 I have spent in a while).  The power came on about a half hour after we arrived, just as I was starting up the generator.  We are shipping today. 

Some of our neighbors had some damage and there are trees down but damage was slight in Morehead. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 02:17:12 pm »
Glad to hear everything turned out ok, especially that your library made it through. n :)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 02:26:17 pm »
Joe, good to hear that you and your family are safe and well.  Welcome back.
regards
Mark

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »
Morehead is a hurricane magnet.  We have had three since I moved here.  Two category 2 and this one, which was only category 1 when it hit here.  We have been in the eye of two of those storms.  We stayed for the other hurricanes.  One cat 2 We came back on Sunday.  We had no damage.  The neighobor kid had already cleaned up the yard (best $50 I have spent in a while).  The power came on about a half hour after we arrived

And here in NJ, I have now been without power since Saturday night, and it does not even appear as if the utility company has yet begun to address the downed power lines that are apparently responsible for it yet.  There are also some trees down and others damaged, and some fence damage.  But the house is intact, with no flooding.  I shouldn't complain...

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »
Joe,
I am very glad to hear that you came through it all safely.
Martin

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »
Happy that every thing went well with you Joe and your family, and sorry for those who lost their beloved ones :(
God Bless
Salem

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 03:54:50 pm »
I've never been in one either, but I remember one night in 1979, when we had the worst gale to hit Cornwall since 1892. The builders were in, the windows were all out, it was gusting 120mph at St. Ives, and we were up on the moors with it blowing straight in one side of the house and out the other; the walls were two feet of solid granite, and we could feel them shaking. It was a tribute to 19th Century builders that the place was still standing afterwards!

I hope Joe, Acropolis, and any other members in the hurricane's path are all ok.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 04:11:57 pm »
Thanks, Robert.
I presume you meant "Akropolis."
We finally have power. It came on at 1630 yesterday. We were down 16 hours. And we were not alone. Hundreds of thousands without power.in the Norfolk, VA area, which includes us. The power company came through for us, and no complaints for the 16 hour outage, considering the mess they faced.

This house is totally dependent on electrical power. We get our water from a well, which needs the electric pump to work.

Computer works. TV works. Toilets work. All is well now....inside the house. The yard, front and rear, looks like a battlefield! I will be picking up branches and leaves for a week!
PeteB

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »
I was in the path of Hurricane Ivan in Santiago de Cuba, 2004. The main force of the hurricane hit the opposite end of the island (Havana and beyond). The preparations were instructive. The entire Cuban air force and civil aviation fleet were moved to Santiago for the duration, and as I'm a bit of a plane spotter in my non-coin moments it was really interesting to see all those ancient Soviet and 1950s British made planes arriving - my hotel had a good view. Preparations were intensive and orderly - I was in one of the poorer areas of the city the day prior to the hurricane and people were removing all valuable possessions - specially TVs - from their home prior to relocating. The hurricane was, in the event, rather an anti-climax with the main storm passing by in a number of hours. It was very stormy and wet weather but I've experienced as bad at other times though not such high winds. We knew the hurricane had passed when the planes took off again from Santiago some 48 hours later. Popped down to the Cubana office, queued up, changed our flights and went home. No hassle!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 04:26:09 pm »
Hi, Andrew, are you old enough to have acquired the spotting habit by spotting engines at Bletchley?
Pat L.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 04:41:36 pm »
Hi, Andrew, are you old enough to have acquired the spotting habit by spotting engines at Bletchley?
Pat L.

I'm not .. still some decades off my biblical term. I'm not sure where I picked up the interest but I think it was a combination of flying oilfields in Africa and middle East, as well as frequent visits to Cuba. One gets to see and fly many interesting rusty and dangerous planes in such a life. As recently as 2000 I travelled on an oilfield service Viscount (1949 vintage) to the Shetlands. Ilyushin 62s (copy of Vickers VC-10), Ilyushin 18s (a copy of the Bristol Britannia) and Antonov 2 biplanes were still in common use on my last Cuba visit a couple of years ago, not to mention slightly more modern Yakolevs and Tupolevs. In a recent visit to Sao Paulo it was great to see a line-up of still-operational 707s, working for a freight company. I was happy to fly Concorde a few years back, a 1960s plane. Not so very long ago I flew an Air Gabon 747-100 with that spiral staircase going to the upper deck. It was apparently an ex Pan-Am plane, one of the original 1970s delivery batch. I flew a while back in a 727 from Linea Congo whose tailplane was shot-up in a firefight in Brazzaville the same day. There was an extensive debate as to whether it was still safe to fly the bullet-riddled plane, concluding with switching it out for a rusty 737-200 with far fewer seats. Everyone just took their baggage on board the smaller 737 and filled the aisles with it; the excess passengers just sat on their bags in the aisles or in the galley/door areas. They were as safe as anyone, as there weren't many working seat belts in the proper seats anyway. Great fun! Though one of my colleagues had an extreme touch of nerves. We fed him excellent Congolese beer.

I'd collect and fly antique planes like these if I could, but they take up too much space. Coins are smaller. And safer. Though "safe" can be dull.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 05:32:29 pm »
I thought we were shipping today.  Everything was packed.  We went to the post office.  They couldn't take any outgoing packages.  Their computers were down.  We may have to drive to another town tomorrow.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »
Reading about Irene put me in mind of another hurricane perhaps sixty years ago when I was a boy living  in western South Carolina. It must have been following a similar path. They flew all the planes from Cherry Point to our small airport and we went out to see them, little yellow single engine propeller planes parked all over the grass. It seems to me that there were dozens of them, but my memory is dim on that point.  Anyway it was something to see and I still have a memory of it. Jim A

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 03:13:08 am »
I'm delighted to hear that the damage was minimal.  Hopefully everyone in the hurricane's path fared as well.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 09:15:53 am »
I thought we were shipping today.  Everything was packed.  We went to the post office.  They couldn't take any outgoing packages.  Their computers were down.  We may have to drive to another town tomorrow.

Sorry for the hassle, but at least it was minimal damage in your area as you described above.  I heard a news report about areas not only with power outages, but Internet outages and the affect it had on Internet bases businesses with some people driving miles to get to an Internet hot spot to conduct their business. 

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 10:18:35 am »
Joe, I am pleased that you all escaped the storm unscathed.
I am fortunate not to have witnessed a hurricane first hand, the only disruptively severe weather we get here is snow and ice. That though is bad enough and in fact my son was stranded in his vehicle on the M8 motorway for twelve hours last winter.

Regards,

Alex.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:32 am »
I've been through six hurricanes in Florida and a couple of cyclones in Thailand, not to mention the monsoons. I know how frustrating it can be when a lot of the infrastructure is damaged. We were once without power for over a month. I'm glad that the damage wasn't extreme, but any damage is too much. Glad you are ok!

Danny

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »
I once had to survive without power for three days after the main power line in Cornwall was comprehensively wrecked by a storm. It was difficult, but the lines went down every winter, and everyone had paraffin lamps etc. A month without power sounds bad, or did you have a generator?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 02:59:50 pm »
We had a small gas generator, but it caught fire after the first week when my nephew tried to fill the tank while it was still running. We were without a generator for about a week an a half, until enough trees were cleared off the roads so we could get out and drive to another town (three hours away) where we were able to purchase a new one. We had fans and plenty of candles. The worst part of that ordeal was cleaning op the mess. There were trees that fell on our house, shed, and my vehicle with thousands of dollars worth of damage. The death toll from this storm is at 40 with over three million people without power.  I don't envy anyone who has to endure a hurricane.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity