Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Abbasid, al-Mahdi, gold dinar  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Abbasid, al-Mahdi, gold dinar
« on: August 18, 2011, 01:06:07 am »
Islamic, Abbasid Caliphate, al-Mahdi, 775 - 785 A.D. (158 - 169 A.H.)

SH51934. Gold dinar, Album 214, VF, 161 AH (777 - 778 A.D.); obverse in center the first part of the Shahada "No deity but Allah alone, with no partner with him", "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, He sent him with guidance and the right religion to be shown all over the religions" around; reverse the second part of shahada: "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah",, Bismillah (in the name of Allah), Dhuriba haza al-dinar (this dinar minted) sanat khams wa tis'ien wa mi'a (Year 161), all in Kufic script; $380.00

I am concerned about the authenticity of this coin.  The text seems very sloppy.  Is that normal for this type

Confirmation of the attribution would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

rick2

Re: Abbasid, al-Mahdi, gold dinar
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:29:32 pm »
its difficult to say without having the coin in hand

if its gold and weighs correctly than it should be genuine.

the legend is not that unusual , you can compare it to this one

http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=190431

even though it looks mangled and blurred.

the description is also wrong (according to my limited knowledge of cufic) in fact khams wa tisien wa miat is 195AH and not 161 (which should read as ihda wa sittin wa miat ).

one last thing gold dinar did not have the mintname written on the coin (as opposed to the silver dirhem ) so this could be a secondary or a smaller mint that minted it with mangled legends.

il try and decipher it later on if i get some time

bakkar

Re: Abbasid, al-Mahdi, gold dinar
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:46:45 pm »
Dear Joe
the coin looks genuine to me, but I have to correct the
date. It is "Ihda wa A'rbai'n wa Mi'a" 141 AH

Best
Bakkar

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF