Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The changing New Style reverses 159 BC - 95 BC  (Read 929 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The changing New Style reverses 159 BC - 95 BC
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:34:45 pm »

Off to ancient Lycian land ( near Telemessos) for a week or so on vacation. So I thought I will leave you the reverse of my last post.

Notice the basic shift from 2 monograms to 2 magistrate names to 3 magistrate names back to 2 magistrates names.

The lengthening of the amphora, the widening of the owls legs from both legs on amphora body  to transfering of one leg to the amphora handle.

Look at the Pants of the owl how it becomes bigger and shaggier as time progresses

The smaller flan sizes. How the magistrates names get more careless and crowded and the recutting of amphora dates on one coin ( Quiver & Bow)

But I love them all.

The best owl...on the "2 serpents", best symbol.."Bust of Helios"

Cicerokid
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: The changing New Style reverses 159 BC - 95 BC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »
I agree that the "bust of Helios" is cool. My favorite of the lot actually!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: The changing New Style reverses 159 BC - 95 BC
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:00:07 am »
I like the "two serpents" owl best as well.  I really like the caps of the diouscuri symbol, though.  It's just so sharp and well done.

I really like how little details like the symbols differentiatie the coins.  It was the different symbols on the reverses of Achaian League silvers that got me interested in that area.  In AL silvers, the symbols represent the City that minted the particular coin at issue, what do the symbols on these new style tets represent?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity