Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An unlisted Dupondius and scarce As  (Read 1322 times)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
An unlisted Dupondius and scarce As
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:41:53 am »
Profectio Augusti coins were minted in 231 AD to commemorate Severus Alexander’s leaving Rome to fight the Persian war. This was also the year that the obverse legend changed as shown by these specimens.  The first is a Dupondius unlisted in BMC which completes my set of AE Profectio As, Dupondius and Sestertius with IMPSEVALEXANDERAVG obverse legend.  Because the As (shown below) and Sestertius with IMPALEXANDERPIVSAVG obverse legend are extant, this strongly suggests that a Dupondius must have been minted and is to my knowledge undiscovered.

Dupondius
Obverse: IMPSEVALE_XANDERAVG
Bust radiant right,
Reverse: PROFECTIOAVGVSTI, SC in exergue
Severus Alexander laureate, in military dress, on horseback left, holding up right hand and holding spear pointing up right in left hand
Unlisted in BMC
Weight, 13.061g; die axis, 12h.

As
Obverse: IMPALEXAN_DERPIVSAVG
Bust laureate right, slightly draped on left shoulder
Severus Alexander laureate, in military dress, on horseback left, holding up right hand and holding spear pointing up right in left hand
BMC 811*, RIC 639
Weight, 10.997g; die axis, 6h.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: An unlisted Dupondius and scarce As
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:19:01 am »
Can you show us the sestertius?

mz

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:02:28 am »
Can you show us the sestertius?

mz

There is an denarius version of this reverse type but it is rare (BMC 747* pl. 25).  It resembles the Sestertius reverse but without winged Victory.  You'd think there was an aureus version as well

I also have a slightly draped bust version of the As in my collection but it's in poor shape.

Cheers

Bob
Bob Crutchley

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:13:40 pm »
Very nice examples of this interesting issue! I have to say that I do enjoy your Alexander collection very much.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:47:47 pm »
As you know, Bob, I like your collection very much, too! Great coins! :)

Best Regards

kc

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:34:46 pm »
as do I, a wonderful collection.

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:55:28 am »
Thanks for the compliments.  It's been fun building my collection

Bob
Bob Crutchley

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:57:32 pm »
Profectio Augusti coins were minted in 231 AD to commemorate Severus Alexander’s leaving Rome to fight the Persian war. This was also the year that the obverse legend changed as shown by these specimens.  The first is a Dupondius unlisted in BMC which completes my set of AE Profectio As, Dupondius and Sestertius with IMPSEVALEXANDERAVG obverse legend.  Because the As (shown below) and Sestertius with IMPALEXANDERPIVSAVG obverse legend are extant, this strongly suggests that a Dupondius must have been minted and is to my knowledge undiscovered.

Dupondius
Obverse: IMPSEVALE_XANDERAVG
Bust radiant right,
Unlisted in BMC
Weight, 13.061g; die axis, 12h.

As
Obverse: IMPALEXAN_DERPIVSAVG
Bust laureate right, slightly draped on left shoulder
BMC 811*, RIC 639
Weight, 10.997g; die axis, 6h.

BMC mixup on the last coin: BMC 811* is TR P X Sol standing, and the PIVS / PROFECTIO AVG As is actually BMC 776.

The no PIVS / PROFECTIO AVG dupondius is actually published, just overlooked by Cohen, RIC, and BMC: no. 4863 in Rollin & Feuardent's three-volume stock list of the 1880s. I have a nice specimen myself, from the same dies as yours, acquired at a Swiss auction about ten years ago, earlier in Spink NYC, 3 May 1995, lot 593.

One more no-PIVS variety for your want list: As with draped and cuirassed bust seen from front not rear, in BM ex my collection = Lanz Graz IV, Roman Middle Bronzes, 25 Nov. 1974, lot 618. I've also seen several other specimens in collections or on the market. This seems to be a medallic obv. die, also used for the small medallion with rev. ADLOCVTIO AVGVSTI COS III P P, no S C, BMC 725* note, specimen in my collection ex Peus 364, 27 April 2000, lot 266.

Dupondius with PIVS: unknown to me too, but as you say it could be expected so maybe one will eventually turn up!

Curtis Clay

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:32:46 pm »
Bob, you're a man after my own heart. I certainly know what it is like to acquire a rare type for an area you specialize in. Congrats on the knew additions and the remarkable collection you have built up!

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 08:16:40 am »
I have a none-too-wonderful as and a sestertius which is rather nice...

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:16:30 am »
BMC mixup on the last coin: BMC 811* is TR P X Sol standing, and the PIVS / PROFECTIO AVG As is actually BMC 776.

Thank you Curtis.  The pages in my catalogue must have stuck together. 

Adrianus:  That's a beauty for sure!

Bob
Bob Crutchley

All coins are guaranteed for eternity