Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 1562 Coin  (Read 2442 times)

281vict

1562 Coin
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:52:39 am »
can any one help me with this one and give me a thumbs up as a real coin??

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: 1562 Coin
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:47:56 am »
Size and weight please. Could be a six pence of Elizabeth I the Virgin Queen.

281vict

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:26 am »
width is about 26mm but not sure on weight will get it weighed

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:59 am »
Benito is correct.  What you have is a Milled Sixpence (Seaby # 2596 - Mint Mark = Star) of Elizabeth I of England.

281vict

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »
thanks
does old age mean a good price or are they common?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:55 pm »
They are generally common. The hole will detract considerably from the price.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:16:53 pm »
They are generally common. The hole will detract considerably from the price.

I'm not sure it detracts much. The milled silver coins see to me much more desirable than the crudely produced hand struck coins and I think tougher to find. I think it is lovely even with the ring.

281vict

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:28:10 am »
thanks for the feedback
yes i like it also

rick2

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 12:59:08 pm »

I'm not sure it detracts much. The milled silver coins see to me much more desirable than the crudely produced hand struck coins and I think tougher to find. I think it is lovely even with the ring.

yes the milled coinage is slightly scarcer than the hammered one. but this coin has a massive hole in it and this detracts quite a lot from the coin.

milled coins from this period regularly turn up and they tend to turn up in decent shape, while it s a lot more difficult to find a decent hammered lizzy coin.

as for the price i don t think it s worth a lot. 10-20GBP

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 10:52:15 pm »
Actually the blemish on Elizabeth's cheek strikes me as much more important than the hole or the loop.  Elizabeth's portraits are often completely flat and featureless, so the most important feature in one of her coins is the attractiveness of the portrait, in my opinion.

In this case, where she resembles a squirrel that's just gobbled up a huge bunch of acorns, I'd step back and give a fairly modest offer for the coin.  Bit it IS a decent specimen - far better than most of her portraits, but with a distracting flaw.

Just my personal opinion...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity