Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: 1562 Coin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1562 Coin  (Read 1515 times)
281vict
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:52:39 am »

can any one help me with this one and give me a thumbs up as a real coin??
benito
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:47:56 am »

Size and weight please. Could be a six pence of Elizabeth I the Virgin Queen.

281vict
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:05:26 am »

width is about 26mm but not sure on weight will get it weighed
Bud Stewart
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:59 am »

Benito is correct.  What you have is a Milled Sixpence (Seaby # 2596 - Mint Mark = Star) of Elizabeth I of England.

281vict
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:19:31 pm »

thanks
does old age mean a good price or are they common?
benito
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »

They are generally common. The hole will detract considerably from the price.

Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:16:53 pm »

They are generally common. The hole will detract considerably from the price.

I'm not sure it detracts much. The milled silver coins see to me much more desirable than the crudely produced hand struck coins and I think tougher to find. I think it is lovely even with the ring.

281vict
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:28:10 am »

thanks for the feedback
yes i like it also
rick2
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:59:08 am »

I'm not sure it detracts much. The milled silver coins see to me much more desirable than the crudely produced hand struck coins and I think tougher to find. I think it is lovely even with the ring.

yes the milled coinage is slightly scarcer than the hammered one. but this coin has a massive hole in it and this detracts quite a lot from the coin.

milled coins from this period regularly turn up and they tend to turn up in decent shape, while it s a lot more difficult to find a decent hammered lizzy coin.

as for the price i don t think it s worth a lot. 10-20GBP
Jim Roberts
Consul

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:15 pm »

Actually the blemish on Elizabeth's cheek strikes me as much more important than the hole or the loop.  Elizabeth's portraits are often completely flat and featureless, so the most important feature in one of her coins is the attractiveness of the portrait, in my opinion.

In this case, where she resembles a squirrel that's just gobbled up a huge bunch of acorns, I'd step back and give a fairly modest offer for the coin.  Bit it IS a decent specimen - far better than most of her portraits, but with a distracting flaw.

Just my personal opinion...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: 1562 Coin « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop