Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just added Potin, Celtic Gaul 40-60 B.C.  (Read 6720 times)

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Just added Potin, Celtic Gaul 40-60 B.C.
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:57:45 pm »
Check below for latest additions!

Again I am a bit of a budget collector. Some of my coins are in rough condition (but to me that just means they soaked up more history throughout the years, changing through more roman hands, and who knows!)  Many of the coins in my collection I have actually cleaned from various lots.  

Enjoy!

Danny

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: Just completed my Sevran Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:01:17 am »
Geta was actually my last acquisition. The other Severan additions were just a long time coming.   Bear with me as I update the detailed info for each coin.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:33:16 am »
You still need Macrinus's boy and all the wives, mothers and grandmothers! :) Diadumenian will be easier (price wise) than some of the wives (there are still two of Elagabalus's wives that I do not have), but you still have somthing to work towards. :)

Chris

Nice btw! Severans are where I really got a toe hold in collecting. Their coinage is so varied and abundent! Now...start on their provincials to get a feel for greek legends!  ;D
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:15 am »
You still need Macrinus's boy and all the wives, mothers and grandmothers! :) Diadumenian will be easier (price wise) than some of the wives (there are still two of Elagabalus's wives that I do not have), but you still have somthing to work towards. :)
Chris
Nice btw! Severans are where I really got a toe hold in collecting. Their coinage is so varied and abundent! Now...start on their provincials to get a feel for greek legends!  ;D
C.

I agree. And stick to provincials for one of the wives.  Annia Faustina  (Elagabalus).
Another advantage of Severan coins is that they offer many  two portrait coins. Even three or four portraits.

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:03:23 am »
Yeah,  of all the coins in my collection I just haven't gotten into collecting any wives yet.  I have a few other Severan coins that I have not taken pictures of yet.  One of Caracalla and his mother on the Obverse.  Hopfully ill be adding a lot of coins on here in the near future.

Also last night I added to the Alexander the Great and his successors folder, my Seleukos I coin.

Danny

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:12 am »
I agree. And stick to provincials for one of the wives.  Annia Faustina  (Elagabalus).
Another advantage of Severan coins is that they offer many  two portrait coins. Even three or four portraits.

I'd say that there are at least as many portraits of Severus Alexander from Antioch as there were die makers.  It seems that, during the two years of mint operations in Antioch, there was no official portrait which allowed die makers to do as they pleased.

Dk0311USMC :
Congrats on your collection!

Bob
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
added Julius Caesar with Augustus
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:20:56 pm »
Just added to my gallery my Deified Julius Caesar with Augustus coin.

I am still holding out some hope that the larger more clear bust is of Caesar. It looks like from what you can see on the legend that the clearer bust is that of Augustus though.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70066

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: added Julius Caesar with Augustus
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59:48 pm »
I know I have mentioned that I am a budget collector before. It may not be surprising looking at many of my coins, but...., some might be surprised to hear that I have not really paid over $35 for any single coin in my collection.   I have paid more than that for groups of coins, but the price per coin is still less than 35 roughly.   Being the frugal middle class worker providing for a family of 4, I am pretty proud of what I have been able to put together with my coin budget, in the last 2 years or so.    As I said, I hope to post much more here soon....

Danny

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:56 am »
Just added to my gallery my Deified Julius Caesar with Augustus coin.

I am still holding out some hope that the larger more clear bust is of Caesar. It looks like from what you can see on the legend that the clearer bust is that of Augustus though.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70066

I'm not sure that's the right thing to hope for since if it were true then you would have a portrait of Julius Caesar that looked exactly like Augustus. So you wouldn't be able to find the guy in the forum and thrust a note into his hands saying "beware the ides of March" if you couldn' recognise him. It's better I think that the portrait of Augustus looks like Augustus and that of JC like JC, than that the better portrait (which looks like Augustus with those large flowing locks of hair, the square chin and the huge straight nose) be JC. The JC side is plainly JC with the scraggly thin neck and balding hair and more snubby nose. I'd be content that the portraits look like who they are supposed to look like!

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:44:18 am »
I suppose your right, of corse if I gave it to Augustus, (then Octavian), i'm sure he could get it to the right guy for me...  ;D  Now all I have to do is work out that pesky time machine thing.... 

Thanks by the way for your help on the coin.    I figured that the more worn side was Caesar, but just hoping in vein because it would be awesome to have a bust that clear in my collection of Julius Caesar.  Trying to match an exact portrait on acsearch and others seemed difficult.  There must have been a lot of different die types for this coin.    Do you think I got the detailed information correct in my Gallery?    I supposed what I showed as the Obverse and Reversed might have been swapped, but the info still correct.

Danny

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 12:00:26 pm »
Just added a Titus to my 12 Caesars folder and also added a new Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius to my adoptive emperors folder...

Also my recently added Seleukos I nikator  hasn't had as many views as others in my gallery so here is the link for that one.
     https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70026

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: Here's the sharpest coin in my Collection..
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »
This Diocletian coin I just added is the sharpest in my collection.   Since its silvered, the speckling appears to take away a little of the sharpness.  But overall a very nice coin I think.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70313

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: New aditions to my Biblical, Judaean album
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »
Just added 8 coins to my Biblical and Judaean album.   Enjoy!!

Danny

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 04:41:05 pm »
Nice work, Danny.  Your shots are getting sharper, and I like the spatial separation you've now got between the coins and the backgrounds.  Might you consider a more neutral background (without a pattern) for future shots?

Congrats on a terrific, growing collection.

Bob

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:41:12 pm »
Hi, thanks Bob.   When I took these pictures I was still a little ignorant on how to properly photo shop out the background.   I didn't think the patterned table cloth would matter a lot when I created a little space between the coin and the table.  I thought photo shop would be able to tell the difference between foreground and background, but unfortunately thats not how it works.  In the end I thought the pictures looked decent enough for me to go ahead and start loading loads of my collection onto my gallery.  With somewhat limited time, these pictures became satisfactory enough for me.
I still have a decent hoard of pics waiting to load in time, including my whole Greek, and Byzantine collection.  Stay tuned  :laugh:

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: Added 11 more Romans today..
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »
Added 11 more Romans today.

To the 12 Caesars album.
An Augustus I cleaned up. Its a bit rough but I still like it. Its definitely a "looks better in hand" coin.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70600

Germanicus   Another looks better in hand when all the pitting isn't magnified.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70609

To the 3rd Century Roman folder, all new ones in that folder so just go there for, Gordian III, Philip the Arab, Gallienus, Aurelian, Probus, and Postumus.

To the Tetrarchy album (another newly created album, so please open that folder too) Maximian, Constantius I, and Licinius.

Thanks, Danny

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: 14 new Greeks added
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 12:31:09 am »
Added 14 new files tonight.

I created a new Greek album with 13 files all added tonight including a 3/4 facing Athena from Ionia, a Sicily coin, some from spain, and many more. Also a pic of some bronze arrowheads (if anyone knows any additional info on those feel free to share)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3882

1 coin added to the Alexander the Great and his successors album of Lysimachos

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3557&pos=8

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: Another Greek added, Mesembria facing crested helmet
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 10:31:32 am »
Got this one of a facing helmet from Mesembria a while ago from Forvm.   I'm still a little slow to update a lot of my more recent acquisitions.  I had been wanting this one for a while.  This is Forvms photo, (I hope thats ok Joe if bought from Forvm). I put a little bit of a wax sheen on it since, and think it pops a little more now with the eye appeal.

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:42 pm »
Ok I'm not sure why but the wrong link got put up for my recent coin....   Here is the link to my Mesembria coin

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-74215

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 03:21:59 pm »
nope, that link takes us to a coin from Klazomenai.

you have to c&p the address from the coin's description, NOT from the browser window. alternately you can click on the address in the coin's description and then c&p from the browser.

~ Peter

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 03:35:21 pm »
Ok, I fixed the link.   Thanks Peter....   

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:58 pm »
yep, that's the one.
that's a cool coin and a nice addition... congratulations!

~ Peter

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: Byzantine album created. 6 additons...
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:12 pm »
My wife bought me these two coins for Christmas.  (of course I had a list of coins for her to choose from)  :D

Q. Anotnius Balbus Denarius, Republican coin minted in preparation for the fight of Sulla's return. I like this coin a lot because it is the best I can afford that had history associated with Sulla.  If I can't have a Sulla coin, an opposition to Sulla coin is right up there!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-75271

2nd.  Greek Corinth Pegasus and trident from Forvm ex-BCD collection.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-75272

All coins are guaranteed for eternity