Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Palace reverse? Sad excuse for obverse. Large Imp?  (Read 598 times)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
Palace reverse? Sad excuse for obverse. Large Imp?
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:08:35 pm »
Ok, ill calm my posts as this is #3 in 10minutes. This one is victim to destruction but the reverse has a Pallace/Column reverse, and utterly destroyed obverse.

Size:28mm
Weight: 15g

Is this a "City Gate" or am I just way off my marker. The bust is grossy faint, based on it's size and a reverse i've never seen in person, Pius?
Again, thanks as always to all of you if you can help.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Palace reverse? Sad excuse for obverse. Large Imp?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
Tough one
The reverse is a temple and temple reverses are actually not too unusual, either in Imperial or Provincial coinage. However, I count 11 columns, which is quite unusual. I'm thinking there are probably 12, but I don't see room for a twelfth, actually, so that may narrow it down for somebody to recognize. I'm not finding a match, though I've only made a cursory effort so far.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:07:34 pm »
Thanks Commodus for this post and my "holy" reverse Greek posts. Hopefully someone helps with both. Im not seeing 11 columns unless you are speculating the 11th is on the far left and has worn of it's "connection" to the top of the building like the other 10? Also, attempting to note the length of overhang on the right, vs left, almost looks as if they have equal overhang distance with just a 10 count? Did columns come in 10? or was it usually just 12 or something much smaller than 10? At the least, may I ask where you are seeing the 11th as im scouring the coin in hand right now, and i would guess it to be on the left, but in hand it seems like the black crud present it playing a trick mimicking an 11th? I could be as wrong as Caligula was morally (thanks Tiberius, why couldn't you have tossed that minnow off the cliff instead of the innocent kids?), but im open to hearing the "masses" opinions unlike him :)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:29:01 pm »
That was quite helpful, thanks Marrk. Septimius/Heliopolis seems the closest I will get based on the horrific damage to this. I appreciate the help.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:40:27 pm »
Looks like probably that's it.
It may be an optical illusion, but to my eye it looked like there was a line extending downward at far left and this I took to be a column. It may also rerpesent the edge of the temple itself. In any case, ten columns makes more sense.
Temples could have any number of columns. Typically depictions on coinage show multiples of two: four columns, six, eight, and ten. Other numbers, including odd numbers, of columns are sometimes found also, but much less commonly.

Going back to your original question, city gate (a.k.a. campgate) types show structures that are more akin to fortress towers with an arched gate at ground level.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 05:08:12 am »
The number of columns is a give-away. There are not so much which that huge number!

Jochen

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:15:10 am »
I would bet for Severus,temple of Iupiter  Heliopolitanus. Heliopolis. Coele-Syria.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity